21 lb ham

No--don't bone it. Personally, I like skin-on. I make a crosshatch with a razor blade, cutting through the skin and through the fat but not into the flesh. I often use paste rub made of Tabasco or Cholula, lots of pressed garlic, cumin, and brown sugar. pepper, and salt (if I haven't brined). I grill-roast at around 350.

Btw, you can remove the skin if you want. Sometimes I can only get skin-off. Mine are usually 8-10 lbs--they take roughly 2.5-3.5 hours. I use a little apple wood.

oops, I took skin off and deboned already. Rubbed with 8 tbl cracked black pepper, 4 tbl sea salt and 2 tbl gran garlic inside and out than tied it up. My plan is to slice it at about 145 or so. Wsm is chuggin away with Royal Oak lump and a little apple wood at 275 Am kinda worried it won't get up to temp in time. 4 hours to go and internal temp is 52. Should I bump temp up now or wait and see.
daniel

Sorry, I was gone for a while. What did you end up doing? I'da bumped my temp. If you're going to pull at 145 check your internals in 2-3 places, especially since you're doing a BRT. I usually pull at 150 but I always brine. 145 is fine--you just want to be sure you've hit that throughout.

Fresh hams are one of my favorite things to cook--I'm planning one for Friday.. In the future, try one bone-in and brine it. I use a lower-salt 1 or 2-day, heavily spiced brine.

I tried bump the temp to 275-300. The lump (Big Green Egg Royal Select)does not burn as hot as the Chefs Select I was using. The internal is now up to 132 with about an hour to go. Thw WSM temp is hard pressed to hit 250.
daniel

I get 350-400+ with Kingsford depending on how much I use, higher still with lump. But no water in the pan in these cases--are you using water or sand? I'm thinking not since you've got a Guru...

no water or sand. After putting a few hands full of Chefs Select on the temp went to 300 and the fan quit running. The smell of the Royal Select is better than anything I had before now.
daniel

You'll want at least a 25-30 min rest of course, but it seems like you're on track--did you want to pull it off at 5:30 or eat at 5:30?

I have a Guru but haven't used it yet. Don't know why you can't get higher temps.

Daniel...where are you getting your lump at? I would like to take a drive to Shillington to get a load of Humphries lump some time.

I never had a lot of sucess with lump. The last I got was $17.95 a bag and it didn't burn very good. The ham turned out real good but a little tough. Thanks for the eyelets!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know how you like the apple and cherry wood.
daniel

Giving up eyelets I wasn't going to use, and getting all that apple and cherry wood you gave me seems like I got a great deal and I can't thank you enough. I can't wait to try the wood. Probably try the apple first.

Back