2016 Spirit E-310

The Maillard reaction begins at just about 300F. So 550, 600 does it really matter?

Whats that?

Given that i dont know what that is, to sear a pretty think steak like a flank or skirt steak, i'd normally preheat and heat up those cast iron grates as hot as possible then drop the steaks on to get a nice medium rare @ 1 min each side

Whats that?

Given that i dont know what that is, to sear a pretty think steak like a flank or skirt steak, i'd normally preheat and heat up those cast iron grates as hot as possible then drop the steaks on to get a nice medium rare @ 1 min each side

It's what causes the coloration you call a "sear".

I think LMichael was just saying 550 is OK for searing steaks.

i was going to wait for him to answer that himself, may have hurt his feelings? or is there something i'm not understanding?

i'd like it to get as hot as it can so that i can load up the cast iron grates that absorb all the heat, when i load up the grill to, for example cook give 2-inch thick steaks, that heat isn't all absorbed by the cold meat. thats what people want with the hotter temperatures.

i also want 600f as opposed to 550f when i'm searing a 1/4-inch skirt steak to medium rare but i still want that layer of salty crust on the outside.

Other than that, i'm so far pretty happy about the grill! just used it the other day to sear up some thick cut slabs of pork belly before i began braising it.

actually, what far do you guys turn the left and right knobs for indirect cooking on the center grate if i wanted to get the temps to 250-275F? lowest possible?

i was going to wait for him to answer that himself, may have hurt his feelings? or is there something i'm not understanding?

No hurt feelings. Someone else posted the link for me is all. On many gas grills seeing over 500 on a lid thermometer is rather elusive and misleading. First it can vary wildly based on outside temps, wind speed and direction, accuracy of the actual thermometer attached to the grill in question and so on. Really if the actual temps matter that much to you, you may want to invest in a product from (Maverick IIRC) that has a thermocouple that can be mounted at grate level and fed to an electronic thermometer to give you a more accurate reading for your searing requirements. Even on my own grills I see all kinds of variations on any given day. My Wolf grill has the whole thing solved. No thermometer :D When I open the lid and the hair on my arms burns off I know it's HOT

Back