2010 Weber Genesis Lid (Flaking?)

Pat Shu

Hi everyone,

My neighbor passed along his Weber Genesis grill to me as he prepares to move/downsize. Please see below for photos.

With the exception of the lid and the bottom shelf in the cabinet, I think it's in decent condition(?). Thanks to this fantastic forum, I think I have a general plan for how to refurbish it:

1.) Remove the bottom shelf; scrape off all the rust sitting near the wheels and side panels; cover it with rust encapsulator.

2.) Refinish the bottom shelf with a wood slab

3.) Using a wire brush and all purpose cleaner, give the interior firebox / SS grates a good clean. Replace the flavorizer bars

Two main questions: The one piece of this project is regarding the interior lid - it looks to be flaking. My initial gut was the scrape off the flaking but it actually looks to be corroded? Could anyone provide some insight as to how to tackle it?

Also, please see the last photo - I couldn't seem to find where this sheet of metal should be attached to - should it sit underneath the drip pan?

Please let me know if anyone has any additional feedback to what I've outlined above. Very happy to hear everyone's opinions.

Cheers

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image3 (2).jpeg
    image3 (2).jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 53
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 53
Re Lid: You have two choices. Leave it as is or rip out the liner that is falling apart. If you rip it out, you may see some discoloration in the lid on longer and hotter cooks. It will turn colors. You can usually get it out with some scrubbing or just leave it. It won't cause a problem.

The stainless piece of sheet metal in the last photo should indeed be attached to the bottom of the drip pan. It is common for the spot welds on them to fail and then they fall off. You can drill holes through both and reattach it.

replacing the bottom panel with wood is fine, but you might find that the rust on the side and back panels will continue to grow. Also, I would be wary of the bottom of the legs on that grill. They look to be pretty rusted and it be that they fail completely pretty soon. Give them a good look over when you are cleaning them up and hitting them with the rust reformer.

Thanks very much Bruce. I really appreciate your thoughts - your video on cleaning a Weber Lid was what initially caused me to pause and think if my lid needed to be cleaned.

Based on your comments - I'm thinking of leaving the lid as is.

To prevent the rust from growing on the side and back panels / legs, would a scrub using the wire brush + rust reformer be sufficient at this time?

That is about all you can do, but you need to get the rust off as much as possible which will mean removing the panels and hitting them with some kind of wire brush. After you get the rust off, then hit it with rust reformer and a top coat of regular spray paint. Rustoleum has both. I use rustoleum rust reformer and rustoleum 2x. If you want to match the gray up perfectly, you should find Rustoleum Massey Furgusen Gray but it is not real easy to find. If a little shading difference is OK, then just us a gray rustoleum 2x. Same for the legs.

Good luck.

The hood liner on that is fine and looks to have lots of life left in it.
It will protect the exterior of your lid preventing discoloration, and
it also serves for heat retention allowing you to reach and maintain
higher temps with less fuel consumption.

The liner is corroded away towards the bottom of the backside.
Granted, it looks like hell. But if you look closely at the rest it
is still in good condition integrity-wise and more than serviceable.
If it were in an enamel lid- on a flip- I might consider taking it out
simply to improve the visual appeal. However on a stainless lid,
I would simply share what I have in this post about the benefits of keeping
that ugly liner.
I have had a couple of liners in much worse shape than this lately
and decided to remove both. While they may look like they will
fall out at any moment, it nearly takes a mule team and an act of
congress to get them out.

Speak of the devil .....
this stainless 330 found its way to me yesterday.

bGORGpHl.jpg

Besides the creepy smiley face, there are some other holes rusted through
along with a good stretch of the bottom on the back side of the lid.
However, the majority of the liner is intact, and in good condition.

h6Nmau8l.jpg

The plan for now is to sell it like it is. If it doesn't fly, then I will remove
it for sure.

If you were in Arizona, attending a Diamondbacks game, you would. ;)
Yes, here in Bethlehem PA we also have sportings. At one time, Babe Ruth played for our Bethlehem Steel Football Club. Riotous times were had by all. Back then, teams of mules were pulling goods along our canal tow paths. While I have visited the Bambino's grave several times (my grandfather is buried nearby) and my house was built during his heyday, I don't see what this has to do with mules, except that it appears they have moved to Arizona. Thank you for the update! Go Steel!

Hi everyone,

My neighbor passed along his Weber Genesis grill to me as he prepares to move/downsize. Please see below for photos.

With the exception of the lid and the bottom shelf in the cabinet, I think it's in decent condition(?). Thanks to this fantastic forum, I think I have a general plan for how to refurbish it:

1.) Remove the bottom shelf; scrape off all the rust sitting near the wheels and side panels; cover it with rust encapsulator.

2.) Refinish the bottom shelf with a wood slab

3.) Using a wire brush and all purpose cleaner, give the interior firebox / SS grates a good clean. Replace the flavorizer bars

Two main questions: The one piece of this project is regarding the interior lid - it looks to be flaking. My initial gut was the scrape off the flaking but it actually looks to be corroded? Could anyone provide some insight as to how to tackle it?

Also, please see the last photo - I couldn't seem to find where this sheet of metal should be attached to - should it sit underneath the drip pan?

Please let me know if anyone has any additional feedback to what I've outlined above. Very happy to hear everyone's opinions.

Cheers
If you can find the serial # call Weber about the hood, maybe you can luck out and get a replacement. The bottom you can replace with plywood as I did if you like.

119844248_10101296572415541_3482749058638636766_o.jpg
20200919_105025.jpg
20200922_153346.jpg

Back