2002 Genesis Silver A - Thermometer Question

Matt B.

TVWBB Super Fan
About a week ago, I got myself a Silver A ca.2002 from a local criagslist-type site. The thing is in great shape, all it needed was the grates to be sanded and reseasoned. A little bit of elbow grease to clean the outside and check the valves and burners for safety and I was in business. Total cost was $50 with a cover included.

Ok, so I had to brag a little...

I have a couple thermometer related questions:

How accurate is the thermometer given it's offset placement?

I have a source (local dealer) who carries the long-stemmed thermometers. Mine has no weber logo on it, but the ones at the store do. I'd like to swap out my old one for one of the new store ones. However, I can't figure out how to get the thermometer out of the lid. I was going to try and drift it out with a hammer from the back, but I figured I'd ask y'all first. Anybody got any tips on removing and replacing one of these things?

Thanks!

Matt,

I have this exact grill that I bought new. I it has stainless flavorizor bars and just recently upgraded to Webers cast cooking grates which I highly recommend.
The thermometer does have a tendency to sick in place. I Pulled mind out frequently, stuck it through a wine bottle cork and used it to monitor my Kettle temp quite frequently so did not have this problem often.
Don't be afraid of damaging it as it probably need to replace it anyway. I would attempt to pry it out from the front with a screw driver, it that fails, as you suggested bring on the hammer and tap out from the backside. Either way if its stuck that tight it will probably break whatever you do.

FYI - I have replaced my original thermometer twice, once it broke do to use, and once because it became inaccurate.

Good Luck

Thanks, David! I sure appreciate the reply - I knew somebody would have had experience with this. I'll probably end up getting two of them and keeping one for a spare since they are prone to going bad.

I'm using the cast grates - not the enameled ones, but I still like them very well. Great sear and they're practically non-stick.

Clean as much stuff off the stem as you can, use a small brush & clean around the hole (inside the lid). Gently tap it to get it moving - once you can grab it from the front just twist & pull. A couple of light taps with the handle of something usually gets it moving.

I'm ashamed to admit how long I've gone between removals.......a bit of persuasion works everytime.

Not even certain why I bother, for me it's simply for a) when pre-heat is done b) gas out in the middle of a cook
icon_biggrin.gif

Back