20 hours for a 7 lb butt?

Rob

TVWBB Fan
I had it going for 20 hours at anywhere from 225 to 260. I did something different though, I used the bottom grate, not the top. Does that make a difference? It was windy, but like I said the temps were in the range above. Even after 20, I had to bring it in to the oven and finish it off there. Never did get up to 190. Stuck at 175.

I wouldn't think the bottom grate matters. The wind does matter. Did you have to refuel? It would be difficult under windy conditions to survive with one load of fuel. Are you sure you didn't lose temps for a while overnight?

Butts can be on their own schedule though. If I have a butt that's having a hard time getting past a threshold, I'll give the cooker more heat (like 275-280) for a while. Usually that works.

The butt still came out good I bet.

Butts tend to "sit" at 160º for hours at a time. You'll think its cooking fast, then when it hits 160º it will sit there for hours before it moves again.

Don't be afraid to cook your butts on the higher temp range. They are very forgiving. I usually shoot for 250º-275º. Helps in the cooking time yet cooks long enough to break everything down.

Rob-

I am looking back at my cooking log and I can tell you my pork butts take an average of 16-22 hours I take my pork butt to 200. I have cooked butts on the bottom rack before with no problems. It is true the 160-175 temp can take hours and hours to break out of. Another tip I can give you is dont even peak at meat for at least 10hours you will just loose heat.
Also what method did you use to start your charcoal? And did the bone just pull right out after you finished it in the oven? I would have to think your temps dropped at some point during the cook. I average 235 during a butt cook and a 7lb butt took me 17hrs 23 min last time.

Good luck
Rick

Hi Rob -

sounds like the probe was the problem. However, 20 hours isn't completely out of the ordinary if you ended up cooking it mostly on the cooler side.

one other thing, in addition to all the good thoughts from everyone else... it does make a difference cooking on the top v. bottom grate. If you have a full water pan, the bottom grate will be cooler than the top grate. I'm not sure where you were taking your temperatures, but if you were doing it at the lid and, say, your temps were 225 at the lid. The temp at the bottom grate was likely more like 200-215. It would definitely take 20+ hours to get a butt up to 195 at 200 degrees of cooking.

As craig and jon mentioned, if you want to speed it up, run it around 250 to 275 and it will break through its plateau much, much faster.

Back