2 Small Brisket Flats - BBQ Guru?

Wade Leishman

TVWBB Member
I picked up 2 pretty smallish Brisket Flats (3.5 lb and 4.5lb Cryopak) that I wanted to try to smoke this weekend. There is just a small bit of fat on each flat, and I already pulled out some thick cut bacon that I can use to suppliment the missing fat cap during the smoke.

I did a whole packer a couple years ago without much success and have been doing mostly Pork Butts , Ribs and a couple Turkeys since.

I know that Brisket Times vary widely, but would I still expect these to take in 8-12 hour range (1-1.5hrs per LB), or somewhat less since there are 2 individual pieces of meat.

I also got a BBQ Guru that would like to try out for the first time, so I'm not sure if this is the best first Guru Smoke or not...

Any words of wisdom?

Wade

I think you may be over shooting on the guestimation for completion. 1.5 hrs times the biggest flat plus a little - maybe 6 to 7 hrs ?

If it were me I would foil at 165. Brisket flats dry out very easily. With the foil, the finish might be sooner than the estimate I gave above.

Measure the temp laterally with a probe through the side or end of the flat. Determine doneness more by feel than temp but I wouldn't take the finish temp over about 185.

Hope they turn out well.

Paul

Why not use the Guru. Just remember to keep the Guru Damper shut 1/2 way, (10 CFM) and all the lower vents shut, lid vent at 1/3. Unless you think you may have a very "leaky" WSM, it should not be a problem. If you are worried, save it for a very forgiving Butt cook.

Depending on the temps cooked at, IMO, it still probably will take 7-9 hours for the bigger one.

Like Paul said, wrap around 160's.....they will dry out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I think you may be over shooting on the guestimation for completion. 1.5 hrs times the biggest flat plus a little - maybe 6 to 7 hrs ?

If it were me I would foil at 165. Brisket flats dry out very easily. With the foil, the finish might be sooner than the estimate I gave above.

Measure the temp laterally with a probe through the side or end of the flat. Determine doneness more by feel than temp but I wouldn't take the finish temp over about 185.

Hope they turn out well.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does FOIL mean
a) Foil and Remove from Smoker and stash in an Igloo for a couple hours?

or
b) Foil and stick back on the smoker for some ammount of time, until they "feel" right?

and
c) Would some ammount of beef broth in the foil process (regardless of option 'a' or 'b') be advisable?

By "foiling" the brisket, I meant placing it in HD foil at around 165, leaving in the cooker till it reaches around 185 and when you open the foil, the temp probe slides in and out easily and a meat fork will allow a slight twist when inserted. Yes, I think a little beef broth probably is good to add while cooking in the foil. When done, wrap in foil and place in an empty cooler with a few towels. Most say a 2 hour hold is most beneficial. You could go up to 4 hours or so, but try to get at least 1 hour for the juices to distribute and the meat to slowly continue its cook.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Why not use the Guru. Just remember to keep the Guru Damper shut 1/2 way, (10 CFM) and all the lower vents shut, lid vent at 1/3. Unless you think you may have a very "leaky" WSM, it should not be a problem. If you are worried, save it for a very forgiving Butt cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just kicked the Guru up with the 2 Flats, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do Ramp mode of Meat Monitor Mode?

I went ahead and set the meat temp on the Guru to 160F and the Pit @ 225F... It's on Ramp Mode Now, but wasn't sure if this would be the right setting... I figure when it hits 160F, the Guru should buzz and then I can foil and then set the Guru to 180ish on Meat Monitor Mode.. Hopefully this won't dry out my flats... there was some fat on top, maybe 1/2" on some of the larger flat, but I used some bacon on top of both just to make sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wade Leishman:
I picked up 2 pretty smallish Brisket Flats (3.5 lb and 4.5lb Cryopak) that I wanted to try to smoke this weekend. There is just a small bit of fat on each flat, and I already pulled out some thick cut bacon that I can use to suppliment the missing fat cap during the smoke.

I did a whole packer a couple years ago without much success and have been doing mostly Pork Butts , Ribs and a couple Turkeys since.

I know that Brisket Times vary widely, but would I still expect these to take in 8-12 hour range (1-1.5hrs per LB), or somewhat less since there are 2 individual pieces of meat.

I also got a BBQ Guru that would like to try out for the first time, so I'm not sure if this is the best first Guru Smoke or not...

Any words of wisdom?

Wade </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For small flats like that, you might want to put them in a foil pan. When I first started smoking, someone suggested that, with fat side down and for 5lb and smaller, this works great for me.

The time really depends on the heat level too. I try and keep the heat around 210 or 215 (lower than other folks), and it would take me about 12 hours tops.

At 160 or so, I foil the briskets (put a little wine in the foil and double wrap with heavy duty), and let them come up to between 195 and 200.

But I do keep an eye on them. Good luck.

Back