2 rotisserie chickens on Vieluxe

R Chin

TVWBB Member
Ok - so I’m going to try spinning 2 whole Cornell chickens on the vieluxe

Any recommendations on setup?

I was thinking smoker burner with oak chunks on low (far left) - far right main burner on low - rotisserie IR on low

I guess it would be most similar to a Summit S470 as far as layout and I don’t think the IR burner will cover the length of 2 birds

IMG_7974.jpeg

The breast got up to temp faster than thighs with the IR burner on and outside burners on low. Next time I’ll try butt to butt to try to even out the heating.

Also, I only marinated for 5 hr and the flavor didn’t penetrate well. I assumed the sauce with egg would stick better during basting but it kind of just rolled off like roadside chicken baste.

The wings, drumsticks and veggies turned out good but overall - needs tweaking

This shot is midway through cook while I still had light…

IMG_8143.jpeg

Damn..... those look like pretty big birds!!!! I'm guessing ~7# each?
Yeah --- looks like you would have been better off with the breasts to the outside of the spit to me.

By the time thighs hit 160f the breasts were already over 180
They finished much darker than the pic shown but I was unable to get a good shot because it was after sunset

Both birds weighed 8lb total - I didn’t recall how much each weighed though - it was a two pack

I used Turbo Trusser - I wonder if the metal shielded the thighs from some of the IR energy

Wow - only 4# each? They look alot bigger......
I always grab 5.5-6# birds myself --- any bigger and I can't fit both on the kettle -- but I have seen a couple that come close to 8#..... I figure if I'm gonna cook --- there may as well be a good amount. My neighbor keeps saying 'I don't trust bigger birds - it means they got more hormones'...... I don't know if thats true or if bigger birds taste any different or are tougher, but I usually limit myself to 6#.

The breast got up to temp faster than thighs with the IR burner on and outside burners on low. Next time I’ll try butt to butt to try to even out the heating.

Also, I only marinated for 5 hr and the flavor didn’t penetrate well. I assumed the sauce with egg would stick better during basting but it kind of just rolled off like roadside chicken baste.

The wings, drumsticks and veggies turned out good but overall - needs tweaking

This shot is midway through cook while I still had light…

View attachment 96806
I use only the IR burner and place the birds butt to butt with the legs stuck in each other's cavities. Keeps the bottom of the legs from burning and you only need to use 2 forks. Also does a pretty good job of balancing where they meet and keeps the breasts from being overcooked. YMMV.

Bummer it didn't turn out great. I thought the necks being closer to IR with side burners on low would've cooked them more evenly! Sorry my advice/thoughts didn't turn out as I hoped!~

This is how I spin 2 chickens on my summit 650. There are only 2 rotisserie forks with this setup. I light the smoker burner, the one next to it, and the 2 outside on the other side. Set them to low. I run the IR burner on high for 25 minutes then shut it off. I'll refill the smoker box when it stops smoking. I'm about 1.5 hours they are done, everything is PERFECT and insanely juicyPXL_20240803_194500255.jpgI did these this past weekend so I would have chicken all week long for lunch and snacks

Attachments

• bda7fc3d-b0dc-4391-bd79-923523aed8a2.jpg
    bda7fc3d-b0dc-4391-bd79-923523aed8a2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back