2 more firsts

Bill Mengel

TVWBB Fan
1 This was my first overnighter with lump, Royal Oak. I used a PitMinder and it went very smooth. The overnight part went as normal for me, butts were at 160 ish in the morning. I added about a 1/4 of a ring of unlit at the 15 hour mark. I wish I would have added more this turned out to be a very long cook and it got fairly windy during the day I think it sucked alot of the heat out. Turned out to be over 22 hours and that was on 1 10 lbs bag of RO
2nd This was the first time I did one of the butts with nothing on it. No rub no trimming no flipping did nothing but give it aquick wash before cooking it. I think I'm going to start flipping butts half way through the cook. I was very surprised at how good it was. In fact it was so good I'm kind of wondering why I rub them at all. The other one was rubbed and I could taste a difference but it was hard to pick witch one was betterr. What the heck can a person do to wreck a butt? Only thing I can think of is not cook it long enough and I'm not even sure of that.
icon_smile.gif

I think you'd have to drop it in the coals for an extended period and forget about it.

Good job on the lump!

It really isn't so difficult after all.

Bill, I did 4 butts this wekend and they took 21 hours. They are done when they are done.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Mengel:
1 This was my first overnighter with lump, Royal Oak. I used a PitMinder and it went very smooth. The overnight part went as normal for me, butts were at 160 ish in the morning. I added about a 1/4 of a ring of unlit at the 15 hour mark. I wish I would have added more this turned out to be a very long cook and it got fairly windy during the day I think it sucked alot of the heat out. Turned out to be over 22 hours and that was on 1 10 lbs bag of RO
2nd This was the first time I did one of the butts with nothing on it. No rub no trimming no flipping did nothing but give it aquick wash before cooking it. I think I'm going to start flipping butts half way through the cook. I was very surprised at how good it was. In fact it was so good I'm kind of wondering why I rub them at all. The other one was rubbed and I could taste a difference but it was hard to pick witch one was betterr. What the heck can a person do to wreck a butt? Only thing I can think of is not cook it long enough and I'm not even sure of that.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cooked a small butt this Sunday. It was set to come off around 5pm. Hungry kid and wife made me take it off at 4pm. Best advice out there, don't take it off till it reaches 190 degrees. This last one was 175-180. The texture and flavor are better at 190. Never again will I listen to the Mrs. when I'm doing the queing! When you're cooking, you're the boss!

Craig thanks yes lump is easier than I thought it would be. I'm a convert.
icon_smile.gif

Paul did you flip yours? I'm kind of wondering if flipping would speed up the cook. I see some of these 12 hour butt cooks and then I start to wonder why mine take so darn long.
Joe I've never taken one off early yet and thanks for the info to not try it.
icon_smile.gif
I'm also starting to not really look at the temp but how easy the therm stem goes in to judge if done or not. No resistance means done. I am glad to try new things and ways and truthfully the no rub butt turned out a winner, not all of my tests work out so well.

Bill, I never flip them. The less times you open the cover the better. Most of my cooks have been in the 16-18hr range.

Back