2 Butts On A 22.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_G

TVWBB Member
Has anyone tried to cook 2 pork butts on 22.5? I usually cook my butts on the WSM but I'm interested in trying the fire brick method on the OTS. It looks like there might be enough real estate to cook 2 medium size butts assuming 1/3 of the grid will be used for charcoal.

To indirect smoke 2 butts on a charcoal grill you need the following.
1) A pleasant spring day with temp in low 70's
2) Music , the pandora app , with an iPhone speaker on the "Fleetwood Mac " channel is my favorite.
3) A selection of adult beverages ( this is a long cook , you need the variety .
4)One , but preferably two buddies, to Oooh & Ahhh when you lift the lid to refuel , every 45 min or beverage whichever comes first.
This is one of my favorite ways to spend a day , but in the winter I'd use your WSM
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by John Ford:
To indirect smoke 2 butts on a charcoal grill you need the following.
1) A pleasant spring day with temp in low 70's
2) Music , the pandora app , with an iPhone speaker on the "Fleetwood Mac " channel is my favorite.
3) A selection of adult beverages ( this is a long cook , you need the variety .
4)One , but preferably two buddies, to Oooh & Ahhh when you lift the lid to refuel , every 45 min or beverage whichever comes first.
This is one of my favorite ways to spend a day , but in the winter I'd use your WSM
icon_frown.gif
I can OOOOH and AHHH with the best of them.I can fetch "adult beverages" with the best of them also,I am in

Originally posted by Mike_G:
Has anyone tried to cook 2 pork butts on 22.5? I usually cook my butts on the WSM but I'm interested in trying the fire brick method on the OTS. It looks like there might be enough real estate to cook 2 medium size butts assuming 1/3 of the grid will be used for charcoal.

Yep have done it several times, and the main reason its ok is because pork but is real forgiving.

You have to build your fire specifically for a long smoke. (I use a fuse method to do it).

I have done overnights (6 hours), and I have done daytime cooks. If you keep in mind that even if the fire goes out you can still save the cook, then you really have no worries.

I typically build the fire, put a roasting pan under the bottom of the meat, and check on it after about 3 hours. I rotate the meat, then I leave it for another hour or 2.

It can be done and done without a lot of muss and fuss.

I do it all the time. Works great. It may be a little snug at first but should fit without touching. As the cook goes on, they will have plenty of space.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give it a try the next time I want to make some pulled pork. Looks like a great way to kick back and relax by the grill for a few hours!

Originally posted by JHunter:

I typically build the fire, put a roasting pan under the bottom of the meat, and check on it after about 3 hours. I rotate the meat, then I leave it for another hour or 2.

Let me clarify this a bit...

I generally don't touch the buts at all.
I will check the temps at about 3 hours.
And then every 2 hours until we are getting close.
If needed I will rotate the meat.

But I generally won't open the kettle unless I see the temp dropping below 250. And that's usually between 5-8 hours depending on the wind/temp, etc...

jay

Jay

Originally posted by JHunter:
Roger,

How long did it take to cook? Did you have to add fuel? And what was your average temp?

It varies with the meat. I generally shoot for 1 1/2 hrs per lb. These were about 8lbs each and if I remember correctly, they hit 195 after about 15 hrs. Foiled and coolered for 2-3 hrs.

I'm still working on the kinks controlling my fire with the minion method. Had to pull some coals early in the cook to get my temps down. I think with 50-60 briquets, I got a bit over 6 hours before adding more. I think I did two more adds of about 20 briqs each time. I was trying to keep my temps around 250. I stayed up overnight with this with 2-3 hr naps.

I'll pay more attention to the cook next time for better detail.

Yep, as Roger showed, although jumping in here late, absolutely can get 3,8#er pork butts on 22.5. I initially used fire brick and to each his/her own, but have used these for over a year: http://store.weber.com/Items/?pid=1348 The rails just seem to be more versatile, leaving more space for coals, in my opinion, than fire brick. Those butts look awfully good! And yet, we were getting them done, as in all three, admittedly last summer in 22.5 OTG on at 9am and off at 4pm, foiled in cooler for an hour and pulled. In winter, around here, it does take longer. Didn't miss plateau, let them hang in that until they all broke, nice bark, bone sliding out tender. With just a little water in drip pan, mostly to catch drip. But then I rub, wrap, inject through saran, whatever cling wrap, let hang out in frig overnight and then rub again in morning. Since I have the WSM, now, new learning curve for me. But have decided not to use water in pan again, as I prefer higher temp butt/chuckie cooks. And will foil a chuck roast in a milisecond for pulled beef. If it doesn't have much bark, that's fine by me on those. Those butts do look really nice! Now I just have to get the smoker down, via trial and hope not too much error, but if so, I'll keep at it. Looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back