2 Butt question

SteveK

I have 2 butts that are the same weight after trimming the fat cap....well one is 0.2 pounds larger? Should I cook both on the top grate, or one on each grate?

Thanks,
Steve

Top grate. They'll fit side-by-side just fine and it's much easier that way.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

When I only do two at a time (and only doing two butts), I always do them on the top grate. Like Bill said. It makes it easier.

Is there some sort of table available at this website that indicates cooking time for two butts? And I do know that the total time is weight-dependent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
Is there some sort of table available at this website that indicates cooking time for two butts? And I do know that the total time is weight-dependent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are able to maintain your cooker temp in the desired range, the cooking time for multiple butts should not vary appreciably from that required for a single. The estimate of hours-per-pound applies per piece, not to the cumulative weight of meat in the cooker. It will, however, take a bit of extra time to achieve your target cooking temp when working against a larger total mass of meat. There is no hard-and-fast timetable for cooking any meat in the WSM-- if there was, it might only be for ribs of a known weight at a specific cooking temperature. The rule of thumb says allow 1½-2 hours per pound for butts and brisket at typical BBQ temps. Your mileage may vary-- every butt is different.

Using all the fantastic information I've gathered here I'm trying out a five pound picnic with bone on the bottom grill right now using the following recipe:

Rub:
brown sugar
kosher salt
paprica
powdered cayenne
ground coriander
cumin
mediterranean oregano
coarse black pepper

I don't know if that's going to be enough for tonight, should I throw a small rack of beef ribs in there as well?

In honor of TVWBB Super Fan, Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson, who appropriately named my rig, I present (live):

Hoop and Caster Cam

Ah what the hey, I'll throw it on, in a hurry though. Here's the "before" (ingredients in the background):

lunchsupplybbq.jpg

Don,
You flatter me! And it's not necessary. Although, really cool mods seem to gather nick names around these parts; Piedmont Pan, Minion Method, WSM Magnum, etc... Hoop and Caster Mod just seemed to fit your nicely done design. (A design I would use myself, except my twins are on a table about 16" high and I don't need to move them).
Without knowing the proportions of your rub, it looks like a good mix.
I have a green ham, approx 18-20 lbs that I am going to cut in half and put it on the smoker tonight after church. Hopefully it will be done before church tomorrow. 16 hours. might be.
Happy Easter to all the folks here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my twins are on a table about 16" high and I don't need to move them . . . .

My Boys:
Joseph (1997)
Andrew (1999)
Daniel (1999) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about Andrew and Daniel, or the other twins?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adrian Bermudez:
is that HOT chili paste I see??

Yndio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is.

Substituted the garlic powder with:

machopicante.jpg

I'm not particularly fond of powdered or granulated garlic. My wife, the supertaster, will claim spousal abuse. Whatever.

RE GARLIC POWDER:

When making homemade catfood, the feline will thank you a thousand times over when the food has been spiced with either onion or garlic powder!!

^^
><
\__/

OK tjkoko, after :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When making homemade catfood,... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to see what kind of postings you've made and I totally agree with this statement:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Regarding paprika, I feel that the stuff sold in this country is much milder than that found in Hungary. I've rarely been able to find the hot variety here in America. Here it seems more used for color than flavor but I can't really make that statement with a lot of certitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any luck in finding the hot variety?

Donald

I found hot paprika only once in this country. I believe that the brand was labeled SZEGED HOT Paprika. Haven't been able to locate some for over at least 5 years.

The stuff offered by Penzeys Spices is very flavorful but, alas, not hot. And whereas storebought paprika has a red color, a variety offered at Penzeys is slightly orange tinted.

What's the problem here?

And d@mn, it looks like there's a real Turkish coffee grinder setting in the background!

I'm 99.44 percent sure that I saw that paprika at my local Safeway store (Newcastle, WA) this morning. Check yours out..IF they don't have it, ask for it!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
I found hot paprika only once in this country. I believe that the brand was labeled SZEGED HOT Paprika. Haven't been able to locate some for over at least 5 years.

The stuff offered by Penzeys Spices is very flavorful but, alas, not hot. And whereas storebought paprika has a red color, a variety offered at Penzeys is slightly orange tinted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Steve:

Paprika is found all over the place here in the USA. It's just that the hot stuff is nearly impossible to find in America because most of the stuff is very mild.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my twins are on a table about 16" high and I don't need to move them . . . .

My Boys:
Joseph (1997)
Andrew (1999)
Daniel (1999) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about Andrew and Daniel, or the other twins? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The WSM twins. Andrew and Daniel would never sit still on a table long enough!

Back