2.5 lbs of Baby backs, how long and what temp?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
How long and at what temp should i smoke one rack of baby back ribs weighing 2.5 pounds? Also, how much charcoal would you use for such a cook in a WSM?

thank you.

David,
Use about 1/4 of the charcoal ring full of charcoal using the Minion Method. Cook in the smoke for 2.5-3 hours in the 250* range. Wrap in foil (add fruit juice if desired) and cook for 1 hour in the foil. Remove from foil and return the ribs back to the smoker and increasing your heat up to 300* range for 30-45 minutes. Add sauce if desired during this time.

The ribs are tender when you can grab two bones and give a slight tug and it rips the meat.

4.5 hours seems like a long time for 2.5 lbs of ribs. i cooked mine at 250 for 4 hours and they were tender but slightly dry.

what does the foil do? is this step really that helpful?

Weight is, frankly, immaterial. Thickness and marbling are key. Don't cook by time, it's only a guideline and is dependent on temp; cook till done. Larry suggests the tear test which works, I use a skewer inserted in between the bones. When it goes in like butter: done.

Foiling adds a braising component. It's not a must but many foil because it softens the meat and fat effectively. Returning unfoiled re-firms the meat.

I have been smoking mine lately without foiling. 1.5 lbs for 3 to 5 hours
and 1.75 to 2.25 for 4 to 6 hours the key is when the bones at the end of the ribs pop out they are done kinda like a built in thermometer

Back