1st WSM cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy Robinson

R.I.P 3/14/2017
Now that the chicken cook method is settled there is another moment of indecision in my happy young life.

Planning my first cook on the WSM, which is also my first smoke, for this coming Sunday. Two pork butts, which I will buy tomorrow, probably at Costco. They will both go on the top grate which leaves the bottom grate empty. Any suggestions for something compatible to fill the empty space?

I will put sand in the water tray and cover it with two layers of heavy duty foil. Have Kingsford charcoal, hickory wood chips, and oak chunks for fuel and smoke. Will use the Minion Method to start the fire.

Bought a box of apple chunks from a local apple farm but they all have the bark still on. Have read that all bark must be removed from smoke wood. Why is that? And if it is a "must do" sort of thing how do I get it off. The bark seems to be very tightly attached, almost like it grew that way. 8-)

The main question, and the most pressing, is what would be good to cook along with the pork butts.

Unequivocally brisket, whole or flat. Pork butts above make brisket below self-basting. Re: wood-- don't worry about the bark. Have fun.

I'll second the motion for brisket - especially when the juices are dripping from heaven above!

As for the bark, there are two schools on this one. I personally leave the bark on and don't find a difference compared to debarked wood. Give it a shot and see what you think.

I'm cooking a brisket on the bottom & pork butt on top this Saturday night.
With a butt dripping on the brisket, do you not have to turn & baste the brisket? Maybe just turn it once in a while?

Jeff

With pork fat dripping from above and the water in the pan vaporizing so close below, it's probably not necessary, but I'd probably still want to move it around at some points to allow for potential hot spots on one side of the cooker or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back