1st using WSM - spare ribs

Eric Aarseth

TVWBB Super Fan
2 KC cut rib racks in weber holder on top grate. Remaining parts on the bottom grate. Total weight 9.5 lbs. I'm attempting to use the mini-minion method (also a first) - half-full charcoal grate with hickory chip foil packets (no chunks in AK).

Temp rose to 244 - 249 degrees (lid temp through upper vent) rather easily. Bottom vents have alternated betw 50 - 100% open but haven't had much success in moving the temp.

Based on the posts I've read and the how-to instructions my lid temp is fine (top grate likely 10 - 15 degrees cooler).

Questions: 1) I'm I ok with my temp? 2) At three hours should I turn my ribs (flip top edge for bottom edge in the rack holder)? 3) The ribs have a rub, am I making a mistake in not spraying them with a mop?

Eric

P.S. I'm a little paranoid from leaving the bullet but I suppose it has stablized by now and I can get to the yard work?

Welcome to the board.

Sounds like things are going well. Here are a few thoughts. Spares can take some time unless you use foil at some point during the cook. You might want to do that if you're eating them tonite. I do spray my ribs with AJ and, in fact, used a blue gatorade (no AJ) last time and they were great ! If you're into a longer cook than you anticipated, be ready to add some more unlit while you still have briqs going.

Best of luck to ya !

Paul

To use foil, do I wrap them when I was going to flip them or simply cover them with foil?

I was think about tossing in a few unlit briqs. 2 hours and temp now down to 242 (at lid). I did the leg kick to see if that helps. Thank you for the advice.

Like tying flies and making beer, mistakes aren't fatal. I'm going for the pork butt tomorrow.

E

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
P.S. I'm a little paranoid from leaving the bullet but I suppose it has stablized by now and I can get to the yard work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go ahead start your yardwork, if you sit there and stare at it for 5 hours you'll go crazy. Just check on it every 45 minutes or so to make sure the temp isn't flucuating to much.

-Dave

Good advice. Watched pot never boils. Came back, temp at 195. Don't know if this is a result of the lid temp being off b/c I covered the ribs (both racks with foil) or b/c the burn of the briqs has been affected. I went to add more briqs (unlit) and I saw several unlit briqs under the foil wood chip pouches. I'm thinking the foil pouches (4 x 6) times three is negatively affected the airflow and thus burn of the briqs.

Next time I'll use chunks if I can find any ( or order them) or just use one bigger pouch in the middle plus chips scattered over the coils.

E

Just pulled them off and wrapped in foil to hold. Tear test says done. Look done. Lots of fat rendered. Nice smoke taste.

Sooooo many variables. Likely my family loves ribs so I'll just have to experiment. Just need to find a rub and little less spicy for the kids and wife.

Thank you to all for the help either in respondingto this thread or in other previous posts.

Back