1st Turkey Smoke tomorrow

Bill M.

TVWBB Member
I've decided to use Keri's "Apple Juice Brine" recipe for my first turkey smoke. I just pulled the turkey out of the brine after soaking for 24 hours. The recipe says to let dry in the refrigerator.

Does this mean to let it sit "out in the open" inside the refrigerator, or do you put saran wrap around the bird?

I realize this is a pretty dumb question, but please bare with me...I've never spent too much time in the kitchen except when I was looking for a snack.
icon_wink.gif

Bill..don't wrap it...just sit it in fridge..

I too have a "apple brined" turkey for Sunday dinner..in brine right now..but drying time is gonna be short about 4 hrs if were gonna eat at dinner time...it didnt get soaking till noon today..

I did a 7 lb breast a month ago..skin finished a little soft,but turkey meat was Great..

Let us know how it turns out..

Ron

Bill, I think if you have the space and could mount it vertically and suspended it from the drippings it would be ideal.

Shawn

Good idea. Or put it on a cake cooling rack on a sheet pan--air circulation around it is what you're shooting for. Blot the inside cavities with paper towels to soak up collected liquid when you remove it from the fridge.

If you separate 9gently) the skin from the breast meat before cooking you'll have a better shot at producing good skin (assuming you're doing a high temp cook).

Thanks for the responses. I smoked my first turkey today after having my WSM for nearly a year. Why did it take me so long to smoke a turkey...because I don't like those birds; at least not until today.
icon_wink.gif

I ruined my dinner because I couldn't keep from eating the turkey as I was carving it. It was that good.

I was very concerned after smoking the turkey though. It only took 1 hour and 20 minutes to get the breast to 160°F (upper vent temp was ~350°F throughout the cook). I was very hesitant to remove the turkey at this point, but I did. I wrapped it in HD aluminum foil and placed it in a pre-heated cooler for ~3 hours. I then removed it from the cooler and placed it in the oven at 150°F for ~30 minutes prior to carving it.

My wife loved it. She said it was the juiciest turkey she had ever eaten. Looks like I'll be smoking more turkeys in the future.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed and a special thanks to Keri for the recipe.

You're just more than welcome, dear heart. Glad you enjoyed it - everyone seems to have pretty good luck with that one. Easy and tasty - that's a good combination in my book!

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Back