1st time use of SMC

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok used my SMC for the 1st time today and it turned out pretty good though the ribs were not fall off the bone so I am looking for some advice.

I removed the membrane as teh instruction on teh site said to do and cooked them (2 full racks cut in 1/2 on a weber rib rack - top shelf) for approx 4.5 hours keeping the temp somewhere around 220-230 degrees. Did I cook them long enough??

I used hickory and tried to follow the instructions form this site - only opened it up 1x to flip them. Very tasty - nice color and smoke flavor but just a tad chewy - not fall off the bone.

Love the site and my SMC - much better than the old Brinkman I had which never seemed to work right!

Jim

Jim,

You didn't mention if you had baby backs or spare ribs. If you had spare ribs they needed to be cooked right around 6 hours. The baby backs I have done take anywhere from 5-6. If you can pull them apart easily when doing the twist test then they are done. The last spares I did took a little over 6 hours.

Bruce
They were babyback - looks like I was didnt have them in long enough...is the temp right?

Jim

I have been cooking spare ribs and have a couple of questions for the experts.

Does removing the membrane help a lot?

The typical cook is two slabs cooked for about six hours at a temperature of 250ish at the cooking surface. While the ribs are done they do not fall apart. My feeling is that like a pork butt, the ribs should cook a while longer - to fully render the fat.

David.....

Removing the membrane is always a good idea. I believe it helps the tenderness immensely. No tough, chewy skin to get in the way. I have seen others that simply score the membrane between each bone, but that is much more work than skinning them.

Those that are looking for that falling off the bone tenderness may also want to explore wrapping in foil. However, first I would cook them longer and see how they turn out. Once you have made some great ribs, THEN start to explore the wrapping. Wrapping will add enough steam to tenderize them to the falling off the bone stage you are looking for.

As far as getting that fall off the bone tenderness. What I have been doing with babybacks
is filling the water pan (I have brinkman pan) about 2/3 full at the beginning of the cook.I cook them for 3 hours with a cooker temp of about 240. After 3 hours I flip turn and bast the ribs. At this point the water pan is only about 1/2 full or less. I shake (gently) the ash of the coals and open the vents to 50-75% open. This gets tthe cooker temp to around 265 -275. I have been able to get Very tender ribs in 41/2 -5 hours. I readjust the vents as needed (you dont want temps too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back