1st time Mr. Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Preiser

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I've had my WSM for just under a year now and did my first pork shoulder yesterday. I've cooked mainly ribs and brisket until now as my local Sam's club keeps them in stock year round.

Followed the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe from Smoke & Spice (and posted under the Cooking section of this site) on a 6# and change butt from my local Jewel (regional supermarket owned by Albertson's).

Fired up the WSM using the Minion method. Used my propane Cajun cooker as the starter for the chimney this time. Once assembled, I dropped in 4 fist sized pieces of hickory.

Weather was around 70 and windy which turned into a light-moderate rain for a couple of hours that eventually turned calm and sunny. I think this caused some temperature issues as I had as much as a 50 degree difference between the dome and the grate temps during the windy/rainy portion of the day.

Cooked on the bottom grate at 225-230F (dome temp 260-270F) for about 10.5 hours. Turned twice in the last 1/2 of the cooking and mopped each side twice after turning.

The WSM only needed minor adjustment of the vents throughout. I planned on a 9 hour cook, but my Polder thermometer was only indicating 162 at that point so I let it go until the fire ran out 1.5 hours later. I figured I'd finish in the oven as it was getting late. Turns out it was done and I must have had the probe in a bad spot.

Let it cool down a little and then pulled it apart by hand. Nice 2 inch smoke ring, spicy brown bark on the outside, tender, juicy, and melts in your mouth. Don't know if it would win any awards, but I'll call it a success!

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back