1ST Smoke

Jeff Fried

I would like to thank all of the posters whose advise and witticisms led me to purchase a WSM on Saturday. Naturally I have several hundred questions starting with:

I seem to have a poorly fitting access door, and my smoking chamber doesn't fit very flush onto the bottom coal-holder-doohickey-unit (much smoke escapage). Should I care and what to do?

Hey Jeff

Check out the tips and mods tab at the top of the page for some ideas on how to fix any problems and if that doesn't work call weber and they will more than likeky send you whatever parts you need.There customer service is usually top notch.Some smoke escapage is normal especially on new units.They dont have a nice buildup on them yet to seal real good.

Hope this helps
Jeff R.

As far as the door is concerned... Somewhere on this board I read that a Comp. BBQer (can't remember who) uses his with the door upside down. I was leaking smoke, not a lot but enough to bug me, I turned the door upside down. No smoke leak at the door!

I should have thought of that myself. Thats the part about BBQing... Ya have to think out of the box for good Qing.

Thank for the replies. I think you are right that as the gunk builds up it will help. Which leads me to this question: Is there a reason to ever clean the inside of the WSM?

Jeff,
I noticed that my first few smokes were a bit smokey from the door, lid, and charcoal/center seam. Now that it has been "seasoned", I don't have that problem any more -- partially due to the buildup that seals the grill.

To answer your question here, if you're using briquettes, you'll need to knock the brown flakey buildup off the lid or it'll end up on your food. I use a suggestion I heard in the forum and wipe down my WSM with a wet towel when it's hot. Afterwards, I use a grill brush (funny looking metal brillo pad w/handle) to clean anything stuck to the grates and inside.

Back