1st Mod Eyelet Install

Michael Perez

TVWBB Member
I received the Maverick 732 yesterday so I figured I better try to do the threaded lamp rod mod to go along with it
icon_biggrin.gif
It came out very nice, looks almost factory. I did make up a jig to keep the hole pattern the same and to also keep the bit from moving around too much. I went ahead and put two on one side and two on the other side just because lol lol

397817755.jpg

397817759.jpg

397817760.jpg

What size hole did you drill, and what size is the threaded insert? I've seen a couple of sizes listed in other posts. I have a 732 also and I just want to make sure that both probes fit through the hole. Also, what is the length of the insert? Thanks!

After a scouting run to my local HD, I have a question. Do both probes for the ET-732 fit thru the 3/8" lamp pipe? They sell them in a multipack of varying lengths, so I'm guessing you guys are using the shortest one in the pack. Is that correct? If so, I'm ready to go jump on this mod.

Originally posted by Cody Evans:
After a scouting run to my local HD, I have a question. Do both probes for the ET-732 fit thru the 3/8" lamp pipe? They sell them in a multipack of varying lengths, so I'm guessing you guys are using the shortest one in the pack. Is that correct? If so, I'm ready to go jump on this mod.

You can either use the shortest ones in the pack or if you have a dremel with a cut off wheel you can cut them to custom length. For the diameter of the holes if you drill a 3/8" Dia. hole the rod will bascially thread into the hole. Then the nuts are primarily just for looks and stability.

My home depot had the 3/8" and the 1/2" size lamp pipe, but only had the brass caps for the 3/8". So a 3/8" is plenty big enough for both of the ET-732 probes, and a 3/8" hole is the perfect fit for the 3/8 pipe. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I think it's time to go make my purchase.

Michael, is there a certain type of drill bit you used?

How much pressure did you apply and did the porcelain chip at all?

I'll be honest, I really want to do this mod but I am really scared of cracking the porcelain and have just been running the wires thru the top vents.

I just did this mod using a plain 3/8" drill bit. I taped the area with two strips of blue tape, pressed the drill bit into the center of the tape and then into the porcelain. Tapes helps keep it from chipping and helps keep the bit from wandering. No problem whatsoever. You may have some burrs on the exit side, so a small file or needle nose pliers will help with that. Took me about 5-10 minutes for both eyelets. Easy and cheap.

Back