1st log > comments and/or advice welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Prince

TVWBB Fan
put ribs on at 12:44pm using the Minion Method..

temp was 200 for most of the 1st hour with it moving up within the last 15 minutes

1 hour later (1:44pm) , temp is running 235 at the top vent with a bimetal therm

all vents open, outside temp is 83 and dead calm

Your at the right temp now - recommend shutting the vents down about 66% each to stabilize temp below 250F.

3 racks of baby backs..2 flat on the top grate and 1 flat on the bottom grate..intended to skewer at least 1 rack for the bottom rack (just to experiment) but it wasn't standing right so ended up laying it flat.

2:44pm > temp is 235 at the top vent..85 degrees outside (sunny) and virtually no wind..also i'm set up in the shade.

thanks and keep the suggestions/comments coming/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Looks like you're well on your way to some good tasting ribs in a few hours.

You might want to move the lower rack of ribs up to the top grill and kind of lean the three of them against each other so the air/smoke/heat and contact all three. Don't overlap. The rack on the lower grill will be sitting at a lower temp than the top two. Do yourself a favor for the next time and pick up a rib rack.

Time to get the beer chilled, if not already done!

They've been on for about 2 1/2 hours now - are you spraying this batch? Basic warm apple juice or an apple juice/oil/cider vinegar combo adds a nice flavor and a bit of moisture to ribs, but I turned into a wild woman and added some maraschino cherry juice to my last rib spray, with nice results. I thought about grenadine, but I figured I'd get a temp spike and burn the sugar in it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Aiming at around five hours or so? Hmmmm - if I run catch a flight right now, I just might make it about the time they come off... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time (vicariously thru David at the moment)

3:44pm> 3 hours into it..basted with apple juice and olive oil (4:1) (they look good already)

sprayed the bottom rack as best I could..temp climbed right back up to 240 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

4:44 > 4 hours on the WSM..temp is climbing a bit, cooker is in full sun now (86 degrees no wind).

closed all bottom vents (1 at a time) and temp seems to be stable at between 245 and 250.

still on 2nd beer but getting low/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

5:14> basted (no turning at all)..temp 250 on the nose when i lifted the lid.. the one on the bottom looks "wetter" than the top 2

all look great right now!

No fair I am stuck at work and cant have a beer /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

3rd beer is going down heh

temp has climbed to 260 at the top vent..all bottom vents are closed and the temp gauge is covering one of the top vent holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back