1st ever cook

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

First I wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts and gives their feedback. It really helps guys like me who have never smoked anything but want to experience good home barbacue.

I purchased the WSM and had my first ever cook over the weekend. I did 4 racks of baby backs (approx 3 lbs each) and 6lbs homemade sausage in 1 pound rolls. The sausage was out of this world and 3/4 of each rack of ribs was also fantastic. The other 25% or slightly thicker end was not cooked enough.

I cooked the ribs approx 4 1/2 hours at 220 degrees. Wrapped in foil and placed back on rib racks in the WSM for about another hour. Pulled and let set for another 30 minutes before I sliced.

Stupid Question - is it ok to cut off the thicker end of ribs to cook that portion longer so that the thinner section does not get over-cooked?

FYI - after I figured out how to adjust the vents the WSM ran a consistent 220 for the entire cook. I can't wait to experience more great food on this unit.

Isn't the WSM the best thing since sliced bread? As a fellow newcomer to 'Q' I love it.

A WSM and this site can make even the novice look better than most weekend warriors. I've only had it a couple months and recently smoked butt for a dinner party of 20. Thanks to a few veterans here and the cooking topics section everything came out great.

Howdy Grady, I'm not a pro, but maybe try racks more about 2 lbs. I had a great smoke a few weeks ago rolling the ribs using the BRITU method described in the cooking section. Last time I tried foil I got the same result, but that was before I found this site. Good luck on next cook!

Back