1st Ever Beer Can Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Tried my first ever beer can chickens today. One on a beer can the other on the new Weber Poultry Roaster. Slathered each with Garlic Expressions (garlic flavored oil) and Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Placed both over indirect heat on brand new Weber 22 1/2 kettle. Cooked both at 350-360 for 1/ 1/2 hours. The beer can cchicken turned out great, crispy skin great flavor. The chicken on the Weber Poultry Roaster did not turn out as good; skin not crispy, almost rubbery, and it didn't seem as moist as the other. Just my .02 worth.

Hmmm, pretty interesting. Sometimes the simplest designs are the best. I'm gonna have to order a couple of them beer cans! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

2 things about moist chicken!!

1. Indirect-- over water

2. beer-can style

3. If unable to have #2 resort back to #1

Beer can can be good (very good, in fact) but the electric rotisserie attachment produces chicken that can't be equalled.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matt goin:
[qb] 2 things about moist chicken!!

1. Indirect-- over water

2. beer-can style

3. If unable to have #2 resort back to #1 [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So is it best to place the water pan UNDER the chicken an not over the coals when cooking indirect?

Use both!!!!!!!!!

1 under the birds
and another over the coals!!!!!!!!!

tender and juicy chicken!!!!!!!!!

I've done beer can chicken a few times now. It's really not all that important to use a water pan at all. Unless your trying to help control the tmeps. But I don't see why you would need it for moisture. Thats what the beer can or whatever else you use does. It basically steams it from the inside out. I usually just use a dry drip pan.
I dump one full chimney of lit coals to one side. Throw the beer can chicken on the other above the drip pan. Keep all the vents open and lit it cook. I'll rotate the chicken 180 degrees about 45 minutes into cook.

One of the things I love most about beer can chicken is that's it's so simple and the results are great!

The plate on the bottom of the weber poultry roaster sheilds the chicken from the fire. It can then be cooked over direct heat, this allows the liquid in the center cup to produce more steam. it will also cook much faster since direct heat is being used. I'll probably get fired for saying this but i prefer the can to the roaster. I'm not in that much of a hurry and i don't think the skin turns out very well on the poultry roaster. Plus who wants to clean a teflon roaster when they can throw out a beer can?

Weber Mike,

It was purchased for me as a gift and I decided to use it along with the can. Like I said wasn't crazy about results...have to figure out what to use it for now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back