1st cook

Tom Woolery

Hi all,
This weekend(the 14th) I will be doing my 1st cook on my WSM. I'm going to do a 6 lb butt and 2 racks of spare ribs maybe, a fattie. Should I start the butt on the bottom rack so as to make it easier to put on the ribs? Also, what is average time for Ribs? I'm leaning toward 5 hours but that is a guess.
I,ll be using the WSM as it came with no mods at this time. I want to try it in orig. condition a time or two but like the clay pot idea pretty well. Any and all tips will help I'm sure and I welcom them.
Tom.

+1 for Paul. The but is going to take at least twice as long as the ribs. It will take even more time on the lower rack because the lower rack is always a little cooler (at least in my pit). It's not too hard to pull the top rack to get the ribs on. Just make sure you have a place to set the hot rack down. A big pot works well for this. As far as timing for ribs goes, 6 to 6.5 hours with a vent temp of 240 works for for me every time. I don't foil, and they always come out great. Yours will be ubergreat with the drippings from the butt to enrich them! Cheers.

Spares usually take me 6-7 hours at 250 lid.

You could do the butt on either rack. If it were me, I'd do the butt on the top rack and just lift the entire rack out as needed.

I put the rack and all on a side table when I have to.

If you are doing spares I think 6 hours is way too short. I do back ribs all the time and usually leave them on 5.5 hours. I don't have any experience with spares so not sure what to say, but what Craig said.

Start a midnight cook and throw them fatties on about 4 hours before you want breakfast.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Just my two cents...I would put the butt on the lower grate. If you are doing whole spares (untrimmed) 6-7 hours. I trimmed three yesterday into St Louis Style and they were done in 5 hours,they were excellent. I like to trim mine for the tips...yum. Let us know how it goes.

Back