1st cook questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Prince

TVWBB Fan
still waiting on my chimney but anticipate first cook within 48 hours and have MANY questions (I apologize if this is old ground for most/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bought 3 racks of baby backs at food warehouse (couldnt talk the wife into butts at this time but soon)..they are in cryovac.

how many days can I keep these ribs in the fridge before I either HAVE to cook them or freeze them? (2 or 3 days max til first cook)

when cooking, lay them flat or skewer them in a circle?

is 6 hours about the standard for ribs?

would love to try the BRITU but my wife cannot tolerate anything spicy, and I mean anything (want to make a good first impression with this cook)..is there a mild rub thats not to peppery or hot, but flavorful?

plan on using the minion method so I'm thinking 15-20 lit briqs on top of about half a ring of unlit charcoal..then the wood chunks..is this correct thinking?

I see a lot about basting with apple juice, do ppl do this with ribs too?

thanks to this site I am working up the confidence for my first smoke/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif..any comments, tips, advice are welcome and thanks

Dp

heh also, is it best to apply the rub the night before the cook, or just when you let the meat sit out for a couple of hours before smoking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Prince:
[qb]how many days can I keep these ribs in the fridge before I either HAVE to cook them or freeze them? (2 or 3 days max til first cook)[/qb]
I'd say 3 days past the sell-by date on the package to cook or freeze.
[qb]when cooking, lay them flat or skewer them in a circle?[/qb]
Depends on how long they are. If they reach the edges of the grates it might be best to roll them to keep the ends from drying out in the hotter air rising around the circumference of the WSM.
[qb]is 6 hours about the standard for ribs?[/qb]
For baby backs that's probably 1-1.5 hours too long.
[qb]would love to try the BRITU but my wife cannot tolerate anything spicy, and I mean anything (want to make a good first impression with this cook)..is there a mild rub thats not to peppery or hot, but flavorful?[/qb]
Rubs are not written in stone. Leave out the cayenne, reduce the pepper, up the paprika for color, try adding thyme or cumin. Sugar will carmelize and darken the exterior, but it's not burnt, just dark.
[qb]plan on using the minion method so I'm thinking 15-20 lit briqs on top of about half a ring of unlit charcoal..then the wood chunks..is this correct thinking?[/qb]
The right tool for the right job-- and Jim Minion agrees-- fire up a couple of Weber chimneys of briquets at the start. The MM is best for overnighters, and not for cooks under 7-8 hours.
[qb]I see a lot about basting with apple juice, do ppl do this with ribs too?[/qb]
Yup, go for it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Prince:
[qb] heh also, is it best to apply the rub the night before the cook, or just when you let the meat sit out for a couple of hours before smoking? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Both.

Hi Dave and welcome to WSM-land!

To answer your questions.....

You will be fine for the 3 days till you cook them....I have kept as long as 1 week. Too much longer than that and you will want to freeze...keep in the cryo package.

I prefer to lay my ribs out flat, but most slabs of loin backs are too long. I don't roll any more as they never lay flat after being tied in a circle for 3 hours. HOWEVER, this has more to do with my way of cooking them as opposed to the rolling being bad.

Time will depend on the grate temps you cook them at and also the weight of the slab and finally how you like them done....a little tug or falling off the bone. I personally cook everything at 225? grate level and like mine very tender. My slabs are always 2 1/4lbs./slab and they take 6 hours. If oyu cook hotter and your slabs weigh less and you like to tug at the meat, then les time will be needed. Remember....this is an art, not a science, so, no hard and fast rules on timing.

For seasoning, try using a simple seasoned salt. Lawry's or other brands will do just fine.

Your firing method is right on!

I always mop all my meats but not before 2 hours..this gives the rub time to set. I use whatever juice the kids are drinking...except OJ and grapefruit...I then add some veggie oil and cider vinegar to it..equal parts juice and vinegar and about 1/2 as much oil. Mop after the second hour and then as often as you like.

I always add my rubs the night before and wrap in plastic wrap and fridge. It is not absolutely needed, but the more time on the meat, the better it will season.

Only tip I have is to keep good notes! Especially on timing, how much LIT charcoal you used, the weather conditions, etc.

Good luck and have fun!!

Foil is not a bad thing, no matter what you read here or anywhere else. It's what pleases you, in the end, that's important. As Kevin said this is more art than science. And, although it seems we may have given contradictory answers to some of your questions, it's important to know that we're both right-- there's more than one way to skin a... rib! We're each only advocating what works for each of us. In time, you will come to rely on ways that work for you, as well. Experiment, and know that chances are slim that you will produce something inedible if you let common sense prevail. At these temps, it's hard to totally screw up a piece of meat as long as you have a reliable meat thermometer.

I'd try without foil first, then try a cook with it (3-2-1 style) later. They're all good! You'll want to eventually experiment with most all of the variations at some point. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, I've been having excellent results lately using foil.

Just don't get too wrapped up in everything, and have fun!

David,

I have rolled ribs and cooked them flat and my personal preference is flat. I just like the way flat looks.

I have not found BRITU to be spicy at all...rather on the sweet side after the sauce is applied. If your wife is that sensitive to spicy stuff then I would probably follow Doug's advice.

As an alternative to using a rub, check this method out. Haven't tried it yet but I plan to.
Sauce-only Ribs
Just watch those temps a little closer and don't let them get above 250 otherwise the sugar in the sauce will burn.

I basted a rack of baby backs once with water, vinegar, and the rub I was using. I then foiled the ribs for 1 hour. The results: Easily the most tender ribs I have ever made. Maybe a little too tender as they were very, very close to "falling off the bone." Probably would qualify as such, in fact. I plan to try basting only the next time I do ribs.
--------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

David,
I did my first ribs this week. What was a near disaster turned out some of the best ribs I ever had. The wind got up real bad right after I put the cooker together with 8 rolled/skewered slabs BRITU started. I couldn't keep the temp over 205. 3 1/2 hours into the cook along came a terriable thunderstorm, packing 45+ winds. I had to move the cooker into the garage while the storm hit. That was a kodack moment! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I ended up foiling in the oven for about 1 hour, then saucing and back on the smoker for about 30 minutes. They were awesome! The BRITU is not spicey, I have a very low spice tolerance level. The ribs laid flat ok while I foiled them. I cut the slabs in half for the last 30 minutes on the cooker. They looked great also. Enjoy the cook, and take good notes.

Ed

T - 13 hours til the ribs go on!

I'm figuring 2 hours to let the bones sit with BRITU rub (minus a little salt and the cayenne)(10:30am-12:30pm)

shooting for 7 pm eat time

fire up with TMM at 12:00 noon, and put the meat on at 12:30pm.

figuring 6 hours (these racks are close to 2lb.s even each (3 total))..done at 6:30pm

should I leave them on until 7pm or pull off and let rest for a half hour?

also planning no foil for this cook (maybe next time)

thanks for this site and the ppl here for giving me the confidence to do this/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

will report the details as I go.

yet another question...about the temp gauge

have a bi-metal (screw in type) but don't have it mounted yet. can I just put it in the top vent, touching the lid?

thx again. Dp

That should work fine David. Just remember that your temps in the top of the cooker are higher than at cooking grate level. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back