1st butt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

K McCarthy

TVWBB Fan
Trying my first butt this weekend. Actually picnic, no butt available.

I checked a few posts and found people say it cooks faster than butt. The roast is only 5lbs and I was going to do over night, but I don't want it done at 4:00AM or have to start it at midnight either.

About how long per pound at 225-250 lid temp have people found this takes to cook?

Also, some say to slice it, will it pull OK?

And any other suggestions for 1st timer would be appreciated. I was planning on Mr Brown with Pecan and a bit of hickory.

Thanks
Kev

Kev,
With the butts I always figure 2 hours per pound and then I add 2 hours. These things plateau differently, you run into issues with the weather (wind), etc..
Plan for the max and if its done early- foil, wrap in towels and hold in a cooler. Ive held in cooler for 3 hours and couldnt pull with hands it was so hot. Take it up to 200 and pull it.
Mr. Brown is good choice and I like your wood selection.

Have fun with it and be patient.

Kev,

I recently did a cook w/ 2 5lb picnics. They took about 10-12 hours to finish (the butt I did that day took 18), lid temp in the range you mentioned.

I think you'll be fine doing an overnighter, getting started about 11:00p or so. As Brian said, it'll hold temp in a cooler for a long time.

Enjoy, and I'm sure it'll be great.

P.S. I usually cut back the black pepper in the Mr. Brown recipe and add a little garlic powder as well.

Kev,
99% of the time picnics are all I do. They cook the same, taste the same and pull the same. Cook it at a dome temp between 225-250 until it reaches 190*. Wrap it in HD foil, then in a towel or blanket and let it rest in a preheated cooler for at least 2-3 hours. It will stay very hot. You will be able to pull it with a fork. Let us know how it turns out. By the way, remove the thick piece of skin before you cook it. Good luck!

Also the Mr. Brown recipe is indeed very good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back