1st Butt, Good But Not Eastern NC

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Cooked two 8 pound Boston Butts this weekend following Minion Method and Mr. Brown to the tee. They fed 3 families who all loved the taste and I had plenty leftover to freeze.

The problem is I was going for the taste of the best barbecue I've ever eaten. That is from a place in North Carolina called Kings Restaurant. I thought the sauce recipe I found here titled "Eastern NC Pulled Pork Sauce" would do the trick.

It was good barbecue but it just didn't have that "twang" or more of the vinegar flavor I was going for. Vinegar was in the sauce recipe and I used more than called for but didn't get the taste I wanted.

The pork from Kings in Swansboro,NC, is a lot lighter, not pinkish or red like my turned out. Do any veterans here know what I'm looking for? Is there a better rub or sauce to accomplish this kind of flavor?

Thanks in advance,

Doug Price

During my recent trip to South Carolina, I discovered that many of the BBQ restaurants are cooking low and slow, but with gas only. I noticed the same thing - the barbecued pork out there was very light in color, with none of the pink/red smoke ring effect in evidence. In each case where I noticed this, they were NOT using wood smoke, only gas. Might that be the case case with King's - no wood smoke anymore?

Off-topic now, are you, by chance, kin to any Prices from Darlington, Williamsburg, or Florence counties in South Carolina? My 3rd great-grand-daddy was a Price.

Keri C, smokin on Tulsa Time

In Lexington NC you can find 4 or 5 loggers that use nothing but wood. Konrad turned me on to Lexington no 1 and they really do a fine job and a great business (thanbks Konrad)

I went to 4 of the 5 (the fifth one is closed on teh day of the week I was there)

One thing I learned is the cider vinegar they use in NC is a different acidity than what we can get from heinz. I didn't bring any back on the goldwing (but i did manage to stop and get some sourwood honey along the way)

Ahhhh, a barbecue man on a 'wing... be still, my beating heart!

This is my baby... Robert's is pretty much identical except for that girly-girl red seat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Plenty of jars of sauce and barbecue leftovers have been hauled around the country in that trunk. (37 states and 4 provinces of Canada so far...)

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
keriswing.jpg

In my experience, the eastern N.C. pulled pork tastes the way it does because after the smoke is done, the pulled pork is dumped in a pot with some apple cider vinegar and stewed for a while.

I ate at a BBQ place just off the Outer Banks last fall and the BBQ tasted very vinegar-y...I'm sure that's what they did to it. I liked it!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll be traveling to Emearld Isle, NC next month and plan on visiting Kings and snooping around a little. I'll follow up if I get any info.

Keri, not my bunch of Prices', as far as I know. Thanks for the help,

Doug

I use the Pig Picker Pucker Sauce from Steven Raichlen's Barbeque Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades (Page 165). It's a Cider Vinager base with some water, sugar, Red Peppers Salt and Pepper. Add a little to your pot of Pork. Beware the last bite though. It's can be very strong in vinager.

Hey Mike, Check out your local Food Lion store or Kroger's. They carry Scotts sauce for about 1$1.25 per bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back