1st Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
1st Brisket. Ended up cooking from 9 a.m. to about 5 p.m. than foiled and baked at 300 for two more hours to finish it off. About 6 lbs.

Question - The temp of the brisket on the WSM did not get far above 180 after about 1.5hrs per pound. How long would I normally have to cook it to get to 210?

1 1/2 hours per pound is a guide for a whole brisket, about 11 to 13 pounds. I will asume that you cooked a flat, collagen takes time to break down and 8 hours will not normally do the job at 210? pit temp. You have to use internal temp as your guide and feel.
That brisket needed probably 11+ hours.
Jim

Dave,
What was your cooking temperature in the WSM? If I have plenty of time, I like to cook brisket at 225?F, at the cooking surface. If not, I will kick it up to 250?. Here, you can see a series of pictures of a 7.52 lb brisket that was ready in 9.5 hrs, at 250?F (~1.25 hrs/lb). A lot will depend on the quality of the brisket, too. When selecting, make sure it bends easily in the middle. Another observation is that you asked about taking it all the way to 210?F. I think that's a bit high, since water boils at 212?F. I think your will find that most people take them to 195?F to 205?F.

I kept the WSM cool - about 230ish at the cooking surface. The brisket ended up tender and fully cooked after baking in a 300 deg oven for two hours wrapped for moisture. ((Also smoked a turkey brest)).

The smoking did not dry out the brisket - I was suprised. I followed the procedure as about 1.5hrs per pound plus wrapping and oven cooking to finish it off. In the end the wife announced that she had not tasted a brisket as good since we left Muskogee.

Does fully cooking the brisket in the WSM dry it out? As a side note the even the dogs enjoyed brisket drippings on their dog food.

With good technique you can cook a brisket in a WSM without drying it out and without foil, but if what you did worked and you liked it, every thing is good.
Jim

We normally cook all our briskets to "full-term"
on our WSM's with an overnighter. We have just been cooking prime grade briskets that typically
take close to 1 hour per pound. In general we normally start to think about pulling them about 188 degrees. With an overnight I put them on about 10:00pm and try to check them about 7:00am,
normally pull them close to 8:00am, let sit for a couple of hours, trim off point and fat and put in refrigerater to chill. They are yummy!

Trying to talk Ryan into doing ten of them for the Washington Game, need something special for Minion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back