1st Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleatus H

TVWBB Member
Just made my first brisket Friday night. I used the smoke and oven finish method for this first attempt. It turned out very good and everybody liked it. I had people hanging around the house until 11:30 p.m. to try it.

I am making two 7 pound Butts overnight for Mothers Day pulled pork. I am putting the butts on at 10:00 tonight which will give 19 hours until 5:00 p.m. Sunday. I've never tried keeping things warm yet in a cooler. If they get done early how long can you expect a 7 pound butt to stay above 140 degrees? I plan on cooking them until about 190 degrees internal. Maybe longer if they get done early??

I did 4 a few weeks ago and finished about 9:00 a.m. I wrapped them in foil and left them on the WSM with all vents closed. At about 1:00 p.m. I put them in an empty cooler with towels and took them to my hunting camp. Started pulling about 6:00 and they were still so hot I had to pull with a fork and let cool a minute until I could pull with my hands. I don't know the range of internal temps from 9:00 a.m. till 6:00 p.m. but the meat was still extremly hot and we all survived.

Paul

Well, it's been 11 hours and the internal temp of the butt is 174. Could it take 5 or 6 hours to get up to 190? I guess it would not hurt to let it go all the way to 200 if it does get done early.

Paul,
I did not know it was ok to leave a piece of meat in the smoker as you were smothering the fire. I guess if it's wrapped up tight in foil it's ok??

Cleatus

Cleatus

Sounds like your butt is at a plateau and yes it could take another 5 or 6 hours. I usually take mine off between 195 and 200.

Unless I misunderstood the post, one of the legends, Kevin Taylor, talked about leaving them on the WSM, tightly wrapped in HD foil, after closing all vents. It continues to function as a warming oven. I can assure you they stay hot because I had to use welder goves to move them from the cooker to the cooler.

Good luck on the cook.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back