1st brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I have a 10.9 lb cryo brisket that I want to serve Sunday at around 7:30 pm. Here is my game plan and would appreciate any comments or hints.

Sat night dry rub and store brisket

Sunday 6:00 am prepare smoker and get brisket from fridge.

Sunday 6:45 am put meat on smoker

After about 4 hrs, baste meat with apple juice and turn over.

I plan to smoke it for about 8-10 hrs to temp reached around 165-170. Then double wrap in foil and finish in a 300 deg over for 1 or 2 hrs until internal temp reaches 180-205 deg.

Let the meat rest in a cooler for 1 or 2 hrs. Slice and serve.

I will start it fat side up and turn it to fat side down at the 4hr mark.

Am I on the right track here?

At the short end, it looks perfect. On the long end, you won't be eating until until 9:00. It is always easier to hold brisket than to speed it up. At 10.9 it sounds like a packer.

Since it is your first brisket, an overnighter might sound daunting but you can do it. If you don't want to hold the meat too long, you will want to start as late as possible.

Option 2 - Wake up and get the meat on at 4-5am so you will have plenty of time.

Option 3 - Separate the flat and point for a shorter cook time. Foil and oven the flat at 160.

Good luck. I'm sure it will taste good. At what time is up to you and the meat.

Russell is right. Start earlier or make it an overnighter. You're probably looking at ~11-14 hours plus resting time depending on the brisket and how well cooker temp is maintained.

There really is no benefit to cooking fat-side up in a WSM; leave it fat down the whole time. The fat will protect the meat from the heat.

Robert--

Hold a brisket wrapped in foil in a cooler with a towel or two stuffed in. It'll stay hot for quite a while.

By the way, when you put it in the foil to hold it, turn it fat side UP even if you have cooked it fat side down. Juices will gather in the bottom of the foil and keep the leaner flat more moist that way.

Thanks for the help guys. An all nighter sounds ok to me. I will load up with some extra beer and coffee and make a party out of it. I'll let you know how it turns out next week. I hope everyone has a "smokin" weekend.

I'm in the middle of an all-nighter. Literally.

13lb put on around 6pm last night. It hit 148 to 150 cooking at around 210 to 220 after 6 hours.

Has stayed there for the last 9 1/2 hours.

Finished a bottle of wine, 6 pack of soda, some tea (not big on coffee), some scotch, an Atkins breakfast bar.

Got several hours of sleep thanks to Mr. Jim Minion and the WSM.

Hoping to have this baby for dinner tonight. One can hope!

Back