1st brisket cook...so far so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Got everything ready last night and set the alarm for 5 am to fire up the charcoal. About twenty after 5 I finally figured out why the song "More Than a Woman" by the Bee Gees was in my dream and got up.

Lit 20 briquets, 3 chunks of hickory on top and one burried in the unlit. 6:10 the brisket was on with "cod fat" on top and the cooker closed. Its now 6:40 and the temp is up to 160. Am really excited about this cook...ribs and butt were getting pretty routine. Will keep everyone posted.

And really have to figure out how to post pics on here.

Jim,
Good luck on your first brisket! It will turn out great! Gotta ask......what is "cod fat"? Fish fat?
icon_confused.gif

Thats what I said when I was first told. "Cod fat" is actually beef fat from the back of the rear leg of the beef. Butchers use it to wrap around beef loin. Its pure white and cut thin, kinda looks like sliced turkey breast. I guess they call it cod fat because it looks like white fish. He gives it to me and I freeze it in 4 slice packages...it beats using bacon.

If you get some snowy white pork fat it works the same way. You can beat it thin and then stretch the whole shebang around yer meat and voila! I lovely moisture/flavor inducing vest.

Our friend Mords will have to stick to the cod fat of course.

Jim,

So, what's with the " More Than A Woman " reference????? Just curious .

Why did you have to add the fat?? Did your hunk o' brisket have no fat cap?

Al

Good luck Jim,
I am doing my first brisket on my new WSM today as well. Have been doing ribs and butts on my Weber kettle but decided to move to the next level. So I bought a WSM and today I am breaking it in. I put my brisket on at 8:00am and it is cooking steadily at 250 using the minion method

Its now 9:30 and the WSM is at 234 and the meat is a bit over 150.

Al...the song was on the alarm when it went off...dont ask its a wierd way to start the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back