1st brisket cook...6.5 lb flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Prince

TVWBB Fan
thx to you guys here im now a confident smoker of baby backs and pork butts..now its time for the brisket and i have a few questions.

all i could find at the warehouse club were flats 6-8 lbs, so i chose a 6.5 lb'er (untrimmed in cryo)..it has about 1/4 inch fat layer on 1 side (from looking thru the cryo).

ive read everything on site about brisket cooks..am a little concerned about just cooking the flat and it drying out (didnt purchase any butts to baste it with because i am the only one eating/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

any tips/advice at all are greatly appreciated whether its about trimming, rubbing, basting, cooking, cutting or eating/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif thx in advance

dp

What a coincidence! I am going to do my first brisket this weekend also - it is supposed to be in the upper 60's Saturday and Sunday - wooohooo! So anyway, thought I would add a question...how do you serve your brisket? I have seen where the flats are normally sliced and the point is normally chopped - do you use both these for sandwiches? Do you serve the brisket just as a meat on a platter? Do you use a finishing/dipping sauce?

Thanks! And David, hope you don't mind me adding here!

Sliced brisket is "the" BBQ dish of Texas. It's typically sliced and served in overlapping layers on a plate with warm vinegar based BBQ sauce (such as Stubbs if you don't make your own) on the side for drizzling or dipping. Basically the same way you'd serve turkey breast slices, except without the gravy. No sin in ladeling the sauce directly over the brisket.

Dill pickle chips and sliced white onion are the garnish, some of us also like a pickled hot pepper such as jalapeno or pepproncini. Your choice of side dishes such as potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, pinto beans, mustard greens, etc. Potato salad and creamy cole slaw is probably the most traditional pair of sides.

A brisket sandwich is served on a hoagie open-face with sliced brisket, the chopped beef is typically served on a round bun. Bonus points for sesame seeds. Brisket is so popular here if you ask for a sandwich at a BBQ place they'll ask "sliced or chopped?" meaning brisket. The chopped beef is sometimes simemred directly with the sauce in a crock pot and served like a Sloppy Joe.

no problem man/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif..also..what internal meat temp am i shooting for?

it is snowing here, and we will be out of school tomorrow, so my schedule is wide open!

David & Rick
When I cook brisket, I cook only flats now.
I have done full briskets too, but my family prefers flats because they have considerably less fat. After it's fully cooked, you will be surprised how easily the fat cap can be scraped off with a spoon, just before you slice it.

A couple of hints: first, follow the recipes on this site. I use the oven finished method which requires foil at the end. It shortens the cooking time considerably and the result is just delicious. Don't worry, you will still get lots of smoke flavor. I do every time.

Also, slice across the grain. I cannot emphasize this enough. You don't want all that time in the WSM to be ruined by slicing the wrong way. Take great pains to make sure you slice across the grain. I peek under the brisket to see which way the grain runs before I start slicing.

After resting, your brisket will be very juicy and will run when cut. So anticipate this. I put an old towel under my cutting board otherwise the juices will run all over my kitchen. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Brisket smoked on the WSM has an incredible depth of flavor. For your guests, it will be the best they ever eat.

And you will be a hero.

Peter

Ok, I've only cooked one brisket, and it was an 8.5 lb-er, but here's my experience. I trimmed the fat just to make it uniformly thick (somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8 to 1/4 inch). I cooked it to a 160 or so internal temp. Let it sit for an hour or so wrapped in foil in a cooler. It was tender and juicy and tasty when we sliced it, and we ate it mostly by itself on round or square potato rolls. It was actually better without the bbq sauce! Or some of us ate it plain on plates. Served cole slaw and baked beans (homemade, from steven raichlen's recipe, yum). That glorious fat on top is DELICIOUS, so why anyone scrapes it off before eating it is beyond me.

I generally shoot for 6-7 pound brisket flats in cryovac from Sam's Club myself, and I've probably done 7-8 of them in the past couple of months, just practicing for the BBQ competition season.

I shoot for an internal temp of 195 (personally), at which point I take the meat out, wrap it in foil, them put it in a cooler with some dish towels that have been dipped in boiling water. This allows the meat to gradually come up to around 200 while the towels are losing heat, keeping the brisket at that same temp for quite a while. I find that this makes for a very tender product that is still sliceable. Too much above 200 and the brisket won't hold into slices...which means you can just chop it up and add sauce! ;-) I generally leave it in the cooler for an hour or two, depending on how hungry I am.

As for the fat cap, I just trim it to an even thickness, no more than about 1/4th of an inch thick. The KC Rib Doctor did a neat demonstration for our group a couple of years ago illustrating how - while the fat cap does help with moisture - it's also a barrier to smoke, and the hard fat doesn't render like other fats do. I leave a thin layer on top, but I usually trim it down to an even thickness. It seems to work well.

Of course we all do different things, but over the last year I've found that this works for me. I don't foil my brisket any more during the cooks - it seems to have a more robust flavor that way - and I generally take around 2 hours per pound to get it done at 250f in the smoker. Of course, that's a guesstimate, local weather and the gods of Charcoal may have other plans.

David
Dwain had a nice response to your fat cap question. That's basically what I do. Although he's got experience as a competitor and I'm just a weekender.

For some reason I have trouble getting my internal temp to 190, even after 11-12 hours. It seems to get stuck around 170-175. It's usually around this time that I wrap it in foil and about an hour or so later the Polder alarm goes off at 190-195. I wrap the brisket in towels and let it sit in the cooler and it gets to about 200. So I have a good 10-12 hours of smoke, and about 1 hour more in the foil/oven.

I think the worst thing you can do with your first brisket is to rush it. Be patient and allow plenty of time to cook, and rest, especially if you have guests and dinner plans.

As with all BBQing, there is no 1 perfect way to cook a brisket. Here is a post I made to another board where I was asked how to cook a brisket.

Hope it helps someone!

Brisket is about the hardest meat to get exactly correct..at least when competing. The judging test is as follows........slice a piece about 1/4-3/8" thick(NO thicker!). Then, hold between thumb and forefinger in each hand. At this point the meat must stay in one piece. Next, pull the meat apart by gently tugging it. It should separate with little effort. That is VERY hard to do!

There are so many ways to cook a brisket, but low and slow is where you must start. Most competitors will cook the entire brisket, many do NO trimming whatsoever to their Packer cuts. When finished cooking, they will cut very select pieces from the flat to turn in to the judges.

Now, I learned to cook brisket using the whole cut...flat and point. The point always takes longer to cook(twice as thick as the flat), so you will end up separating the flat and putting the point back on the smoker for another couple of hours.

Since those many years ago, I now separate the point from the flat BEFORE cooking and cook each piece separately. Nowadays, most of the time I buy only the flat, especially when catering. Sam's carries them in Choice grades for a very good price and the entire fat cap is intact. Avoid the cheapies at Wally World as they will be Select grade.

Fat side up or down??? That is changing in the last 2 years. Used to be everybody did them fat side up. Now, many will flip them half way thru the cook. The theory is that they will simmer in their own fat when the fat side is down.

To trim or not? I have cooked brisket every which way including trimming ALL the fat cap and then using toothpicks to secure back in place. Why do this? There is NO spice on Earth that will penetrate a fat cap. So, I cut it off, season the meat and then replace it. Lots of work, but effective.

My most recent method is to leave the entire fat cap in place with NO seasoning on that side of the meat and then AFTER it reaches my internal temp and BEFORE I rest it, scrape that fat off and season that side. Then rest for about an hour or 2. Much easier and much more flavor.

If you decide to trim, you are walking a fine line between trimming too much and not enough. Your type of smoker will make a difference as well. Water units will NOT melt that fat cap..even just 1/4" of it. Whereas, the offsets will melt most of it away.

Timing? I have had briskets cook in as little as 45 min/lb. and take as long as 2 1/2 hrs/lb. The difference? THICKNESS. The weight is important for timing, but the thickness is the key. Briskets come in greatly different sizes, so you must pay attention to the thickness. Sorry, no general rules as to this, just experiment and take good notes.

Foil or not? Again, no 1 correct way to do this. In the early 90's the winningest brisket cook foiled his briskets when they hit 165?, let them cook to about 188-190?, remove and let rest for 1 hour. Today, the best brisket cook does NO foiling, except at the end to let it rest.

Final temp? It has to be above 180?, but below 200?. Too low and it will still be tough, too high and you have yourself pot roast and it falls apart. No such thing as Rare, Medium or Well Done!

You should try and avoid using foil at the start of the cooking process. This will prevent any type of bark from forming and like other BBQ, the bark is where the flavor is most intensified. I like to layer my seasonings and always apply more rub after mopping.

Me personally, I have won with foil and without foil. The one common thread is near the end let it rest for at least 1 hour. Foil it, wrap in towels and place in a dry cooler. Be sure to KEEP the juices and add them to your sauce.

started cooking at 9pm eastern time..its now 11:40pm and the temp is already 160 internal on the polder (started in the 40's)..temp is 250 at the dome and brisket on top grate..does this seem to be cooking too fast?..thx again

pulled the brisket off at 8 am and temp was 194 on the polder..foiled it in a cooler for 2 hours, then cut enough to eat right then and refridgerated the rest unsliced.

it was good..a little dry but still tender, and great with sauce on it.

whats the best way to re-heat and eat this brisket?

250 at the dome should be OK, that would have been around 235 or so at top grate level, depending on your unit. You might want to run it a couple of times with oven thermometers at grate level(s) to determine what kind of gradient there is between your grate(s) and the dome thermometer. I've found that my heat profile runs from 250 in the dome to 235 at the top grate to 220 at the bottom grate, with a middle grate around 225 or so if I have one in.

I've also found that the longer you keep the product "in the zone" the better it turns out. Just taking a brisket straight to 195 at the same rate might make it a little dry/chewy, but letting it spend some time in the 170-185 collagen -> gelatin "magic area" really makes things better. As my briskets get to around 175 I sometimes cut back a little on the air vent(s) so as to bring the temp down closer to 220 or so at grate level, maybe even a little less. There will still be plenty of carryover heat to keep cooking the brisket internally, so you really don't end up losing a huge amount of time. Once the "conversion" from collagen to gelatin is largely complete the temp will begin to raise on its own again, but you can "bust through" that plateau with just sustainted high(er) heat if you're not careful.

Just some more brisket thoughts. :-) I spend more time working on these things than any other cut, but I've also found the more time I spend and the more careful I am, the better the product turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back