1st beef ribs attempt

Jeff Fried

I had beef ribs recently that were dry and tough (Pearson's NYC) and I thought I would try to make em better on the WSM. To make them more moist and tender should I foil them and if so when? Any beef ribs advice would be helpful.

You don't have to foil them but you can. If you choose to, foil when they are very deeply colored, adding a little juice if you wish. I'd unfoil at 45 min and see what's what. If they're meaty with good fat they could get a tad greasy if foiled but you can return them unfoiled to the cooker to deal with that. I usually do not foil store-bought beef ribs finding their fat ample but usually do with beef from the pasture; it's quite lean.

Don't forget to remove the membrane.

I think beef ribs are excellent and totally underrated. I think the reason a lot of people dislike them is the old adage that you have to par (or is it "pre") boil them.

I cook them on the WSM quite a bit now, and have found that they take a bit longer than spares or bb.s and should be cooked quite a bit longer, at least for the texture that I like.

Thanks - they have ample fat so I will try without foiling. They are on right now at 238. I am planning on a 7 hour cook which will hopefully result in tender moist meat.(cherry an hickory wood)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Fried:
Thanks - they have ample fat so I will try without foiling. They are on right now at 238. I am planning on a 7 hour cook which will hopefully result in tender moist meat.(cherry an hickory wood) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, 7 hrs might be a little long for them if they are short ribs. I did some short ribs about a month ago and wish i would have pulled them sooner than i did. I got side tracked and they were on for 6 hrs. Start checking them at the 4 hr mark. My short ribs would have been perfect at 4.5 - 5 hrs.
icon_wink.gif

Back