1st Attempt at a Beef Brisket

Darren H

TVWBB Member
Hello Folks..

Well, like many, I have been bitten by the smoke bug and have smoked 8 racks of ribs, a chicken, lot's of burger and dogs. My next attempt will be at Beef Brisket this weekend.
I just got back from over the ditch at Wally World and picked up a 11LB beef Brisket for 0.97/lb. They had about 6 of em there all around 11-15lbs. What a heck of a deal anyways!.

So, I'm going to try the cook on Thursday night around 11pm using the MM and the basic rub from this site. Also bought a little sausage roll to throw to snack on while waiting. What should the internal temp of the roll be?.

Thanks in advance..

DH

I've never done sausage on the WSM and would really have thought a higher internal temp would be recommended. Did a little checking and, of course, Jim is right on. Here's an interesting sausage article.

Paul

Hello Folks,,

Here's an update on how the cook went.

1) Put Brisket on @ 10pm.
2) Went to bed at 1:30am TEMP 220F
3) Woke up 6am TEMP 214F
4) OPen vents brought temp back to 225F
5) Meat registered 180F at 7pm.

detail

It was one heck of a cook. Too long for me!.
I did smoke a fatty while I was waiting and that took 2hrs to complete. It was awesome thougth and cannot wait to get another. I think it was the Italian kind from Bob Evans.
I will definately do more fatty's in the future.

DH

Darren,

Those temps are pretty low. I hope they were at the grate, not the lid! How were you measuring the temp?

JimT

That was LID temp. Not sure what the grate temp was..probably below 200F.
Anyhow.. the meat turned out good , but took too long!. What should my LID temp be?

Thanks,

DH

Go for 225 grate temp...or even a little higher. Might shave some time off for you.

The 225 lid temp is what took you so long.

Congrats on your first brisket!! My first brisket was seemed to long too, mainly because I was worried about the cooker temp. After a few they got alot less worrisome and better tasting!!

Thanks for the support.
I am hoping they will get better the next few rounds. If the grate temp is 225 ..then what should the lid temp be?.

I worried so much about this cook... my wife got up and yelled at me at about 3am..lol.
Now she says that I should marry the dang thing!. Hmmmmm.. different tune when she's eatin the finished product.

DH

Everyone will see a difference of a few degrees, but I find my lid/grate temps to be 8-12 degrees apart. The more you peak, the greater the difference.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Darren H:
Thanks for the support.
I am hoping they will get better the next few rounds. If the grate temp is 225 ..then what should the lid temp be?.

I worried so much about this cook... my wife got up and yelled at me at about 3am..lol.
Now she says that I should marry the dang thing!. Hmmmmm.. different tune when she's eatin the finished product.

DH

DH, try sage and hot for your next fatties. I know Bob Evans makes both, you won't be dissappointed. Lots of folks like the maple flavor but I could live without it. J Dean uses a coarser grind which results in a grainy texture which I could live without too.
Where you from by the way?

Hello Kirk...

I live in Southern Ontario near the Falls so I quick jump accross the ditch to the US is only bout 20 mins away. I was "over the ditch" yesterday and picked up 6 fatties.
3 of em Bob Evans - Sage, Hot , Maple
3 of em Jimmy's - Hot, Regular, Seriously Bold
I haven't tried the JD's before so I cannot comment on the texture,,,but the BE's is great!.

Going to Wrap a couple in bacon but not sure which ones yet. Plan to cook these babies with 3 racks of ribs on Saturday!.. yee Haw

DH

Back