19lb butt???

Dupree

TVWBB Fan
So My wife signed me up to cook a Butt for her clients Birthday. The deal being they would pick up two 7-8 butts and drop them off this afternoon.

Weeeeeeelllllll I guess the original supplier fell through at the last minute and the only thing they could find was a massive 19lb Butt
icon_eek.gif

At this point I haven't seen the thing to determine whether or not it is a butt or a picnic (still at work) or something altogether different. But I have read a lot of this board and haven't seen any mention of a butt this large is it possible that they got both the butt and the picnic?

Assuming for a moment that this is really a 19lb butt, I am certainly not going to fit that in my WSM, should I cut it into two pieces, if so any advice on how I should cut it? length wise? Across the grain with the grain?

Then assuming I get it cut in about 1/2 so two 9.5 lb butts..... I want them done around 5pm Sat. was thinking that I could start about 1am (as my 3 previous cooks have included a couple 10 pounders and the most time spent in the smoker has been 15hrs).

Can't wait to see this thing....i already told them I am not making any garuantees regarding this cook......

I suspect that it is a shoulder (butt & picnic, still attached) If you can't get it cut into a butt and picnic (not sure you want to) I would put it on the lower rack and not use the upper rack.

Best of luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Hill:
... but I would be willing to bet it is a double cryovac with 2 butts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup.

Agree, don't panic till you see what you are messing with. It has to be a double from Sams. Keep us posted!

good thing I don't get paid to think.
icon_biggrin.gif
Though same could be said of my wife and her friend...so now I have one normal sized butt sitting here and another in a freezer across town
icon_mad.gif
So much for my pay, no whiskey either.....

Funny thing is that we have a 1yr old that weighs about 25lbs so one would think that my wife would have realized that the butt wasn't 19lbs when she lifted it into the fridge...oh well...

Back