~1999 Geneis 1000 about to be happy - but have questions

DavidS

Y'all are going to call me neglectful for this story. Sadly, it's been due to the stupidity of others (for burning down apartments) and laws of GA and NC. Because laws in GA and NC that say you can't grill on a balcony/patio of an apartment, it has sat idle. Well, all that is about to change. I just put an offer in on a house and provided all goes well, this grill is about to be one busy fella. I used to grill nearly every night in college and may just start that again in a couple months when I take possession. I plan on a serious protein diet...grilled protein. YUM!!! Perhaps that will help the waistline.

I have a Genesis 1000 black from '99 I think. I can't remember exact year but it was 99-00. It is a Home Depot model with the cast iron grates, the real ones, not porcelain coated. I got it for like $150 off retail near Christmas that year. The sad part is, I have only been able to use it for a bit over a year the whole time I have owned it. I was last able to use it in October 2012. At that point, it had been since 2009. The most it was ever used was 03-07 and that was about the extent of two tanks, again due to the apartment thing but I had a garage). In 2012 when I used it last, the bars were starting to get a good bit of rust from non-use. The grates were still in great shape as I had heavily seasoned them and try to keep them seasoned. The burners did heat the grill up so I think they are ok. The grill over all is in great shape. Most of the time it has been covered and in a garage. Just a little cleaning will make it look new.

The things that are wrong with it are as follows: The flavorizer bars are a bit rusty but I think ok. I had the Weber handle that had built in lights. I can't seem to find that thing anywhere. The movers from Atlanta to Raleigh broke it. Missing a knob, no big deal. One thing this grill has that provides a challenge is the quick disconnect connector that you can't find on tanks anymore. I have an adapter somewhere but can that be replaced easily? The table that comes out on the left side is broken, the mechanism, not the durawood.

So with all that, I have a few questions. How hard would it be to find the handle? A lighted handle like I had? Are the stainless steel bars that much better than the originals? I see the RCPlaneBuyer name around here a lot. Should I replace anything else given what I have said about the grill? Is it possible to convert this grill from LP to NG just out of curiosity?

I want to give this grill the use it has deserved to have. It's time to stop neglecting it. I knew this day would come someday and I cannot wait to throw an aged steak on it.

I found out from Weber that the light handle is no longer. It was model 9057.

Perhaps a couple questions at a time is better.

What advantage do stainless flavorizer bars provide? Is there a way to go from LP to NG with the model I have?

I found out from Weber that the light handle is no longer. It was model 9057.

Perhaps a couple questions at a time is better.

What advantage do stainless flavorizer bars provide? Is there a way to go from LP to NG with the model I have?

Howdy Dave! Stainless should last longer. There's a guy named RCPlanebuyer on Ebay who makes bars that are thicker than those from Weber and they cost less to boot! I get all my bars from him. If you want, I can give you his direct contact info.

As for converting from LP to NG, can't do it through Weber. You'll need to either pick up a NG manifold that will fit your grill. Another option that some choose is to change out the orifices on the manifold and swap out a NG hose for the LP hose/regulator.

Back