1996 Black Genesis 1000 LX LP Restoration

DanJC

TVWBB Fan
I got my "new" Genesis 1000 home and have begun a full restoration.

Picked it up for free from a lovely lady in Petaluma, who had it for 25 years (assuming the only owner).

A few notes:
  • Lid, fire box and frame seem to be in solid shape
  • Grates and flavorizers are trash -- will replace w/ solid stainless
  • Warming rack is pretty nasty, but might try to save
  • Original porcelain grease tray! But it was installed *inside* the fire box under the warmers so impossible to remove regularly for cleaning. Assuming I'm gonna be chipping away 25 years of grime.
  • No drip pan
  • Durawood is rough, but will refurbish
  • Will probably replace wheels
  • One of the casters is smaller than the other, and no longer stays attached to the insert, which is mangled and jammed up inside the frame
  • Has the original propane gauge sticker (in pretty good shape)
  • The whole section that holds the tank gauge/holder and little propane tank wheels is just.... gone. Assuming I'll need a donor grill to get one
  • Medallion is faded, but can refurbish
  • Burners appear to be OEM, hoping they're solid
IMG_5810.jpeg
IMG_5819.jpeg
IMG_5811 (1).jpeg
IMG_5812.jpeg
IMG_5813.jpeg
IMG_5820.jpeg
IMG_5821.jpeg
IMG_5833.jpeg
IMG_5816.jpeg
IMG_5815.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good! Can’t wait to see the results when you finish the rehab. Never heard of someone putting the porcelain drip tray inside the firebox before so that’s a first.

It’s weird that the scale and panel are not there. Since you couldn’t read the serial number and the gauge sticker is on there, best run the grill and see if the flame comes out high or low. Possible, but small, that the manifold is ng with a propane adapter. Previous owner could have webersteined this grill.

I agree. It could be that the grill was changed to LP from NG, but maybe not. The fact that it has a sticker on the front leg says Propane. Since they screwed up the drip pan install, maybe they just didn't know how to attach the propane tank holder and that is why that is missing.

Look on the very right edge of the control panel or under the control panel for the data sticker. That should tell you what gas your grill was designed to operate on.

I agree. It could be that the grill was changed to LP from NG, but maybe not. The fact that it has a sticker on the front leg says Propane. Since they screwed up the drip pan install, maybe they just didn't know how to attach the propane tank holder and that is why that is missing.

Look on the very right edge of the control panel or under the control panel for the data sticker. That should tell you what gas your grill was designed to operate on.

Good eye on seeing that tank level sticker Bruce. I missed that.

Looks good! Can’t wait to see the results when you finish the rehab. Never heard of someone putting the porcelain drip tray inside the firebox before so that’s a first.
That's a common hack to put the drip pan inside the firebox. Doesn't cost anything and no parts or labor. Propably not good for air flow or safety.

LOL, I suppose that would be something people would do if the slide rails rotted out. My first thought was that they put it inside because they didn't know any better.
But, either way, I agree, it is not a good idea. Not only will it impact performance greatly, but it is a safety hazard as well.

LOL, I suppose that would be something people would do if the slide rails rotted out. My first thought was that they put it inside because they didn't know any better.
But, either way, I agree, it is not a good idea. Not only will it impact performance greatly, but it is a safety hazard as well.
I'm surprised by the number of people that don't know the pan slides out for cleaning. I make it a point to demonstrate sliding out the pan and the hole for manual lighting

I have to agree here with you BPratt. I get a lot of Genesis grills that are so full of gunk that you cannot even pull them out any longer without digging some of the crud out from the top first. It is just amazing how some people neglect their grills.

I think it's a propane grill as it has the original propane sticker on it as Bruce said.

Identifying the model has been a bit of a challenge:

IMG_5870.jpeg
IMG_5930.jpeg

I think that bottom image says ER-340678, but I'm not 100% sure.

I sent in that serial number to Weber's service email, and I got two responses from two different reps. One said Spirit 900 LP and the other said Genesis 1000 LX LP. I have to assume the latter is correct as mine has durawood slats for the lower storage shelf as well as casters on the frame.

Last edited:
Regarding the manifold and hose, is there any way to tell if they are Weber OEM?

I inspected the burners, and comparing them to images on threads here, they appear to be OEM.

Take out the manifold and look at the jets. The holes are typically bigger if it was ng. Just turn it on and see if the flames come out higher. If so, it’s a ng manifold with a propane hose.

Grill is fully disassembled now, so can't turn it on regardless. Here's a couple shots of the hose and manifold:

IMG_5947.jpeg
IMG_5946.jpeg

Grill is disassembled.

Had an interesting surprise along the way. The caster insert that was all mangled and jammed in turned out to be... wood! Drilled out easy.

Porcelain grease tray took some work but looking pretty nice after attacking w/ solvent and steel wool. Not sure if it's worth more effort to get rid of the rest of the grime.

Really impressed at how the durawood cleans up w/ just a little Simple Green and steel wool. Assuming it's just cause it's easy to strip of a thin layer of material. Pretty much all fade and stains came off.

Lid seems to be in great shape. Only damage is some chipping in the crease under the medallion. Is there a way to add just a bit of paint to cover that up?

Took apart the burners and cleaned. Have not noticed any issues.

IMG_5873.jpeg
IMG_5874.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpegIMG_5888.jpegIMG_5887.jpeg
IMG_5832.jpegIMG_5836.jpegIMG_5937.jpeg
IMG_5939.jpegIMG_5945.jpegIMG_5941.jpeg
IMG_5861.jpeg
IMG_5948.jpg

If you have a 3/64" drill bit handy, you can try to stick the shank in the orifice. If it fits, it is NG. If not, it is LP. That will tell you for sure. The grill could have been converted at some point in it's life.

I'm surprised by the number of people that don't know the pan slides out for cleaning. I make it a point to demonstrate sliding out the pan and the hole for manual lighting
I bought one to flip and got it home, the tray would not slide out...they literally never cleaned the grill...a grease fire started...and melted the firebox on the side and that part melted down into the tray...and then cooled and hardened there...lmao...I definitely started looking them over much more closely after that one.

I have had those as well Brandon. I will still bring them home if they are free. Always some good parts to be had even if most of the grill is toast.

Back