1993 "P" One touch cleaning system replacement

Joe Pick

Brand new here...neighbor was chucking a 1993 Master Touch, seemed like a good idea to rescue. My only grilling experience revolves around a Genesis II 410 and the go anywhere gas grill. Almost no kettle/charcoal experience. Thought it would be easy to replace the rusted out parts, but now i'm not so sure. Looking for advice on the easiest/cheapest way to get this grill back to fully functional. Apparently, models that use a support bar to mount the ash catcher to the bottom of the bowl aren't a thing anymore. Now the ash catcher has tabs that mount to the legs. Any way to hack it with available parts? Or do i need to just be looking for a donor bottom?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220915_031940219.jpg
    PXL_20220915_031940219.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220915_031852278.jpg
    PXL_20220915_031852278.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220915_031758792.jpg
    PXL_20220915_031758792.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220915_031745365.jpg
    PXL_20220915_031745365.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220908_172250717.jpg
    PXL_20220908_172250717.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 25
The newer can will fit your grill, but won't lock tightly unless you have the slots at the top of the leg sockets. Some guys wire it on, others cut the slots in the leg sockets.

Assuming the sweeps still move, I'd use it as is until you're sure you like charcoal. If you keep it and need better sealing for smoking, spend $20 on new sweep assembly and put a steel bucket under it. Around here, I can pickup a slightly used grill for what Weber charges for a new ash catcher.

Hi Joe, welcome.

I looked at moving the one touch sweeper to an older kettle base but found the legs were different and it wouldn't clip. I searched for ideas and came across this page. http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/

I think in your case the trick will be finding a way to mount the ash catcher, and then as Mack said invest in about $20 to get new style sweeps.
thanks everyone! looks like that link has the info for what i need.

wife isn't big into smokey food. are the bottom vents typically kept open during regular grilling?

Thanks!

On a kettle, if you are grilling not smoking, you can leave the bottom vents open completely and control heat with the top vent only.
The lid is built to hold a thermometer so that can give you an idea of the temp inside.

On a kettle, if you are grilling not smoking, you can leave the bottom vents open completely and control heat with the top vent only.
The lid is built to hold a thermometer so that can give you an idea of the temp inside.
so of course the addiction is real. found a brand new 22" original kettle for $60. sorry, don't know the code letters yet. OTS maybe?
this might be obvious, but if you wanted the high capacity ash catcher, it looks like the new legs have the correct slot cut out already, regardless if they have the tray or the ash catcher, right?

OTS = One Touch Silver
OTG = One Touch Gold

one touch silver has a sweep, but the ash catcher is just the tray

one touch gold has the integrated ash catcher found on performers and one touch platinum's.

edit: I think this brand naming was 80s/90s/ 2000s vintage.

Current branding:
original kettle - has a sweep but an ash catching tray
original kettle premium - has the integrated ash catcher which is also found on master touch kettles and performers.

I like pictures...

one touch silver:
1663353302246.png

One Touch Gold
1663353383655.png

Last edited:
so of course the addiction is real. found a brand new 22" original kettle for $60. sorry, don't know the code letters yet. OTS maybe?
this might be obvious, but if you wanted the high capacity ash catcher, it looks like the new legs have the correct slot cut out already, regardless if they have the tray or the ash catcher, right?
Nice. if it looks like the silver above if its an original kettle, otherwise if it has the ash catcher, it is a kettle premium.

I don't think the catcher on the green one above will just clip on, because it is a little different. Yours above does not have a tab like the one in the second pic.

1663356712403.png

20220916_123237.jpg

Last edited:
hey Dan, thanks for the explanation of the code letters! i think i got a little excited in my previous post and went a little all over the place.
i have a brand new, 2021 22", but it's just the base model. can i purchase a replacement ash catcher and have it fit in place of the tray? it looks like the legs already have the correct notches cut out.

My guess is current kettle bases will accept a current ash catcher, and I think the sweeper on your new kettle will fit into the ash catcher in the correct spot. But, I really don't know as I've never tried it.

My guess is current kettle bases will accept a current ash catcher, and I think the sweeper on your new kettle will fit into the ash catcher in the correct spot. But, I really don't know as I've never tried it.
If a person got very, very lucky, the leg sockets on an older Kettle would line up to allow a new ash catcher to clip in. I’d never count on it, though.

my 1993 ones aren't even close. the 2021 model definitely has a different cut on the inside compared to the other slots/welds that face outwards. definitely feel like there won't be an issue adding a new-style ash catcher.

Back