1993/2009 kettle parts swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Here's the deal.
I have a red 1993 22.5 OTS that I would like to upgrade to a OTG using the ash sweeper, and catcher pan from my 2009 OTG.

Before I get my shorts in a knot trying to make this fit, does anyone know if this will work, or was there a design change during this time period?

I'm looking at adding the Cajun Bandit mod to the '09 in the future.
Thanks!
Bob

Hey Bob! See you got another project! I've got a 1991 model SS Performer. I had to install current model ash catcher ring and ash catcher since the old style parts weren't available.

I had to use a Dremmel tool to cut a slot into the leg hosts so that the tabs on the ash catcher ring would slide into the hosts.

It wasn't hard - took about 10 minutes and one Dremmel cutting blade - and worked really well.

I'm out of town tomorrow but I can send you some pics if it would help you.

I also have the Cajun Bandit and have used it twice for 4 + butt cooks and I'm a big fan. The CB performs as advertised and Chris and the folks at CB are first rate.

Pat

Thanks for the info Pat!

Once I get the two bowls turned upside down it should be clear where to make the cuts.
I'll contact you if I have a problem.

Hope to do some Que this weekend, now that the rain has finally stopped.
Over 12" this month, most ever for October, and 4th highest amount for any month since record keeping began.

If you can find a current model performer to look at, it all makes sense. I found one at the hardware store and knelt down and looked at how the ash catcher ring attached and it all clicked.

I am smoking two butts now to take to the Auburn game tomorrow, but had to "cheat" and use my GOSM smoker since it was pouring down rain when I started my butts and it was supposed to pour all night.

As it turned out, I think I could have used the WSM if I had been patient and waited another hour.

It'll be interesting to see how cooking on the GOSM smoker turns out. I'm not a fan of gas powered smokers, but I'm using pecan pellets for smoke and all seems to be going well so far.

Good luck with the Q and the Weber project.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Here's the deal.
I have a red 1993 22.5 OTS that I would like to upgrade to a OTG using the ash sweeper, and catcher pan from my 2009 OTG.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Bob did you have any luck with this upgrade. I was recently looking to do the same thing to my Red OTS. I just saw on Ebay where they are selling the ashcatcher and ring and am strongly considering this.
I currently sitting between doing the mod or selling the redhead and just getting the OTG or Performer

Hi J,
I haven't found the time to mess with it yet.
I do have the advantage of having an OTG for reference on where to cut the slots on the OTS.

I'll post pics if/when I do the mod.

Good luck!
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back