1979 Weber Kettle and Cast Iron Skillet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_D

Hi All

I finally purchased my first charcoal yesterday. According to previous posts, it is a model "A", which was release in 1979, though its speckled with various amounts of grey instead of typical black.

It came with a cast iron skillet that fits PERFECTLY in the 22.5" grate section. I bead blasted and seasoned it today because it was in awful condition.

Anyone ever see one of these cast irons before?

Kettle and cast iron skillet

OH that is sooo cool!

Now you've got to get a second kettle - one for grilling direct over the coals and one for griddling in the skillet - fire them both up at the same time and cook the entire dinner - do rice and veggies like they do at those Japanese steak houses - careful with the knife work.

Remember, you can never have too many Weber kettles, and the older and more unusual in color the better!

Pat

Remember, you can never have too many Weber kettles, and the older and more unusual in color the better!

And that....is the lesson of the day! Couldnt of said it any better Pat
icon_biggrin.gif

The griddle was really what sold me.. I was considering buying a performer, but was unsure of charcoal cooking. This one cost m $50.00, but that isn't bad since charcoal is rare in my area.

I did my first cook on it today. A 6 hour rib onion and corn cook. I used a combination of kingsford, royal oak and hickory shavings. Very nice.

I do plan to do entire meals on it - I'm sure with the area it has I could cook and entire 3 course for 4 or 5 people by setting my coals right. Plus I have my genesis as well. I intend to use the kettle for long cooks where lump charcoal will better the taste, and when I have ample amounts of time.

The Japanese style cooking is really something Im thinking about. Dont know that I'd ever do bacon and eggs.. seems like alot of work for that, plus none of the egg styles I cook would work well on a surface like that.. took a good 30 minutes of work to get the temps right (is there a mod somewhere to add a thermometer to these things?)... I'm not that active in the mornings!

Wow Andy, that is a great score. I'd love to have something like that. Get that thing really well seasoned and you could use it anywhere you would use a griddle.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Benihana pseudo-Japanese knife style of cooking. In Japan the most common type of griddle cooking would be okonomiyaki, which loosely translated means "as you like it." It is kind of like a pancake with onions, cabbage and often bacon, pork or chicken. It is the kind of thing you often find at outside stalls at a train station or in the huge underground shopping centers around the large city train stations.

Weber in South Africa offers a similar Griddle. It is called the Manchurian Griddle. I am going to try and have my sister inlaw get one when she goes back to visit her folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back