18 or 22...that is the question.

Allen S.

TVWBB Member
Hey guys...im currently looking to buy a WSM (wanted one for a LONG time). I have been doing my cooks on a UDS but want to eventually compete. Dont wanna show up at a comp with an ugly drum smoker (though it makes awesome que!). Should I get an 18 or 22 wsm? Not going to compete for a whil, but if I get the 18, would it be enough?

Thanks guys!

Depends on what you want to cook. I got the 18inch, it seems fine, takes about 8kg of charcoal which lasts 8-10 hours and more with ease. There is quite a lot of place. Think of it as a 47cm kettle grill with all the space usable, twice over. From my reading there is no advantage the size gives you except space, which comes at a cost in charcoal!

Allen, I have the 18 and haven't wanted for space yet. I think it's the perfect size for home cooking. That said, if I were going to compete I would pick up a 22. While I think you could pull off a comp with just one 22, I believe running both a 22 and an 18 (or another 22) would be the best approach - look at the way Harry Soo runs his rig. So, with an eye on comps, I would definitely go with the 22.

You'll be glad you got the 22 for either comp or home cooking. As to the UDS, there are plenty of them used in comps. Do not be embarassed to use yours.

I've had both. The 18" is plenty for home cooking but if you want to have a large gathering, you'll be happy you sprang for the 22".

Back