17 hour pork shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Solin

TVWBB Super Fan
Put on a 10 1/2 pound pork shoulder last night at 10:00pm for an overnighter. Checked this morning at
7:00am, reloaded modified water pan, put more kingsford in, internal was 160 lid thermo showed about 225.
Let that monster go until finally at 3:00pm I was just getting hungry. Internal still had only gotten to 186 the
lid thermo showed 250, I had stirred coals around and gave it a little more air. Was going for 195 but a guy
has to eat! Just cracked a Mirror Pond Pale Ale and will have a fresh pork samach shortly.

Wonder how long it would have taken to hit 195?

How about them Ducks! Took the Pac-10 in Football and Basketball in same year.

Duck,
At 10 1/2 pounds, I would figure between 18 and 21 hours for that butt to cook at the temps you described. I figure 2 hours per pound, although the size you were cooking might tend to push that down a little. A lot depends on the thichness of the pork and also how much fat is in the meat that needs to get rendered before it shoots up to 190+

By the way, did you reposition the thermometer to check the reading. I have a theory that if you leave it in one place, the meat cooks around it and may give a false reading. No science, just a hunch.

As a comparison, I cooked a butt last night. Started in a snow storm with temps around 32 and it got down to low 20's with brisk wind. When I went to bed, dome temp was 224, which, I knew meant a long cook.

The butt was 6.5 lbs after trimming. I put it on around 6pm and took it off at 9am, but, the dome temp at 6am when I got up to stoke the fire was 190, so I knew it would take some more time. I don't know what the meat temp was, as I go by the meat pulling away from the bone. During the last few hours of a cook, I check hourly along with basting.

Anyway, my butt was pull apart tender, juicy, and made and ate a sandwich before I finished pulling. Always a good sign.

Dale

Man I remember what your pork is like, we are really going to miss you out here this cook'n season.
jim

Checked the temp with a good quick read thermo when I broght it inside. Temp read about 188-190.
Pulled this thing, it was great. Did not dry out at all, tasted great. Filled up a 8x10 foil tin pan, probably about 5 lbs. Was great for dinner.

Will start a little earlier next time, maybe 8-9PM. I am really sold on the overnight cook idea. Our Klose mobile is great for big tailgates but I don't think I would want to run it for 18-20 hours straight like I can on the WSM.

Jim,
You are way too kind about my pork, but thanks for the compliment. I will miss you guys, too.

Talked to Bob the other day and he convinced me to enter the Blue Ridge BBQ in Tryon, NC. So, I convinced my "little" brother to fly down from Fairbanks to join me.

Should be fun in "pork country"

Dale

OK, Duck, I'll bite. I'm a Husky fan. Winning titles in football and basketball in the same year is an impressive accomplishment, so, congrats to the Ducks.

Hope to see you in Eugene this fall.

Wish I'd been around for the pork.

Darren

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raine:
[qb]According to the Lexington Collection shoulders should be done in 8-12 hours.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know what temp they're cooking at, but at 250? (at the lid) in my WSM it consistently takes me 2 hours per pound to get a butt to 190? internal. That's why I always do them overnight.

Steve

They are cooking them at 250-275. In fact I believe they cook a whole hog in about the same amount of time.

Hey Raine and Steve,

Seems to me you both are talking about the same thing from slightly different perspectives. My mantra is 2 hours per pound, but that is when I keep the dome temp at or below 250 and usually around 240 is fine for me.

I would think that cranking up the heat a few notches would shorten the cooking time. I could see my 8 lb butt getting done in 12 hours at 275, although, I hate to rush perfection--you know what I mean.

Raine,

I decided to enter Tryon--will see you there, we hopes

Dale

We normally cook ours between 225-250, and cook butts in the 6-8 pound range in 8-10 hours.

Dale,
At Tryon our site is normally over on the ball field side near the gate. Come on by and say hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back