14.5 'ers smoking a turkey this year?

I to smoked a 14lb'r for the first time this year. Brined for about 18 hours then placed on a vertical roaster and then onto bottom rack of my 14.5 wsm. foiled water pan. Ran the WSM at around 325 with 3 applewood chunks. Bird was done in 1:55....let rest in warm oven for almost an hour. Everyone said it was the juiciest most tasty turkey I've ever done. I don't think I could have gotten any bigger of a bird in the little smoker.
Tom chillin' before the smoke

Tom after 1:55 @ 325 in my 14.5

Another view

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Last edited:
That bird looks great, Scott!!! I was wondering about whether it would work vertically on the middle shelf but was concerned it might be too close to the heat (especially since I use lump). I think I'll try it next time this way. The only thing I might do differently is use a disposable foil pan in lieu of the foiled water pan...easier to catch the drippings and clean up. Cooking vertically would allow me to go slightly bigger with the bird; I was just able to fit a 10.75 horizontally on the top rack. A couple extra pounds means more sandwiches =)

Last edited:
Great looking bird!
Thanks for the pics, I wanted to do ours in the 14, but couldn't find a vertical roaster, and it was too big for the upper grate so it went in the 18.
Gotta order a spanek before Christmas.

Michael, Thanks. and you're right, I used a spanek vertical roaster. I was lucky and found one on ebay. It's plenty sturdy enough to hold most any size turkey.

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Back