13 hour cook on the 13th

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Two butts and a whole brisket cooked in 13 hours over the 13th. I used Kevin's Bison and Beef Steak rub with dried mushrooms. It is holding in the cooler.

How did everything turn out? I don't believe I've usesd the mushroom rub for low/slows. Was the texture okay? (I'm wondering how the mushroom powder did.) Flavor?

Kevin, the cook went fine despite the 13's!

The Bison rub has great aromas and flavors. The texture was fine. I used a whole ancho pepper that I ground that seems to lack some of the punch I expected it to have. The rub does show best sprinkled on post cook. That is on butt, I have not tried the brisket, it is in the fridge. I am anxious to see how it is with beef. It should be just right.

A juicy burger would go very well with your Bison rub. Thanks for this one, it is a winner.

Ancho isn't 'punchy'. It has some fruit flavor and higher-end chile flavor--kind of like paprika but with more flavor. For punch, try a guajillo-cascabel mix or guajillo-arbol.

I'm glad it worked well. I'll have to try it on a low/slow.

I have some whole guajillo peppers I'll add some to the remaining rub. This is the first time I have used them. As I usually do, I added salt and sugar to the rub-contrary to your way of doing things.

Ok, Steve where did you find the Bison and Beef rub recipe? I went on the rub site and did a find but nothing came up. Doing some briskets this weekend would like to try something new. Thanks

Brisket was excellent with the rub-better than the butt. When using this rub low n slow, I would use less mushroom and more heat.
For post cook flavoring, it is great just like it is. Wonderful on beef! Another winner Kevin.

Back