10 butts on 2 WSM's...update...kinda long

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Picked up the case, 65 lbs, and it wasn't 10 butts, but 8! That's an average wgt of 8.125lbs each, HOWEVER, 2 of them HAD to be 10lbers! Their counterpart in the cryovac was probably in the 4 to 5 lb range.

This actually worked to my advantage so that I could distribute the weight evenly on the grates.

I scored them, rubbed them, and put them on when the upper grate was at 275. The temp immediately took a nosedive to 185. It took an hour to get back up to 250. All vents wide open the whole time.

They went on at 8:30. At 12:30, they were up to 150 internal, so I refilled the water pans and wrapped/foiled them and placed back on the cookers. I stirred the coals and figured I had enough fuel to finish w/o replenishing.

I set the alarm for 4:30. 4:30 came and went. I got up at 5:30 and freaked! I ran to the back porch hoping not to see a grease fire, but was reassured when I saw that everything was ok.

I looked at the probe thermo's and the MEAT temp was 185 and the GRATE temps were 165! I thought "Oh crap, I have to get ready for work in an hour! I don't have time for this!"

Fearing that I would have to finish in the oven, I had a thought. They were at 150 at 12:30am, and the fire was plentiful. I checked the charcoal grate and ALL the fuel was gone...NO fire.

I immediately knew that they had gotten up to at least 200 internal and were on their way back down! I pulled them off the cookers and started unwrapping/shredding. The bones fell out when I opened the plastic wrap!

I pulled/shredded/packed 8 butts in 30 minutes. They fit into 6, one gallon zip lock bags.

I had plenty of time to get ready for work and threw the covers on the cookers on the way out the door!

Yet another success story for the mighty WSM!

Did you let them warm up some before putting them in the smoker? If they were still very cold from the fridge, they will definitely knock the temp way down. I like to let the meat warm up a little first for 30-60 minutes before putting in the smoker.

Steve,

Thanks for the update; I was wondering how things turned out for you! Great to hear that the smoking worked out.

I just did my first overnight cook, using the Minion method and a full ring of charcoal, and I had fuel left after 12 hours of cooking. I'm curious what you did differently:

What kind of charcoal were you using? Lump or briquettes?

Also, what fire management method did you use? Did you use the Minion method, the standard method (as described by Chris), Weber's recommended method?

Again, just curious.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Michael Vrobel (edited 09-19-2001).]

Minion method, regular water pan, full chimney of hot coals on top of a full ring of kingsford briquettes.

I left the vents open 100% for the entire cook. I had a 8mph head wind and was adding 30 lbs of cold meat.

Rocky...I know all about letting meat come up to room temp first. I just didn't have the luxury. I picked the meat up after work at 6:00 and was lucky to have it on by 8:30. 8 butts is a lot to score and rub while trying to fire two chimneys, setting up a table outside between the cookers, etc etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back