1 slab of ribs...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just for me and the wife. I prepared the rub according to the BRITU recipe. But seeing how this is just one slab (2.8 lbs), I'm not sure how to cook it. Do I need less fuel? Less time (hopefully, because I won't be able to start until 5pm)? One chimney full? Less wood? Help!

I've noticed a lot of recipes are for more than just two people, which makes sense, but I plan on doing a lot of cooking for the just me and the wife. Any suggestions?

Charles.....

Sorry, but one rack of ribs will take the same time as 10 racks of ribs.....4-6 hrs.

Do everything exactly the same as if you were cooking more than 1 rack. Same heat, same amount of fuel, etc.

My only suggestion is to try and cook more, buy a vacuum sealer and freeze for future use.

Best of luck!

What Kevin said. Although I typically cook for just my wife and I as well, I've never cooked only one slab of ribs since it's the same time and fuel commitment as for loading up the WSM.

My suggestion: Cook 3 or 4 slabs, eat one, put the leftovers in vacuum sealed bags, or even ziplock freezer bags...ribs reheat in the oven on cookie sheets real well after being thawed, save them for a big party. Heck, make a friend or two, give a slab to a neighbor, take some to work the next day and become the hit of the office, expand your rep as an expert BBQer. Lots of other fun options rather than to just devour in 30 minutes what took you 6 hours (at least) to prepare.

'Tis true - once your reputation for cooking ribs gets out, you'd be amazed at how quickly a slab of ribs becomes a generally accepted unit of currency within your circle of friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, and acquaintances. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

Well, if we're splitting hairs 10 racks will take more energy to cook than 1 rack, all other things being equal. This is because 10 racks have mroe cold mass to absorb the cooking heat than 1 rack. Ever pur a big cold hunk of meat in the smoker and noticed the temperature drop? That's because you put a lot of cold mass in there. 10 racks have mroe mass then 1. Another analogy that might make more sense: get your bathtub full of hot water then drop 1 icecube in it. Didn't make a bit of difefrence that you can tell. Now drop a 10 pound block of ice in it. Tub should be noticibly cooler and take a bit of work to heat back up.

Make sense?

1 rack might cook in 5 minutes faster than a few racks. Might use 3 fewer briquettes. Maybe. But I imagine the vast majority of heat energy escapes through the WSM and a couple slabs of ribs won't make much of a difefrence at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back