1 Must Have

I think that has to be my thermapen. There's a million ways I can start a fire or flip meat, lots of great sauces and rubs, but I've never had another thermometer that is as fast and convenient as it is. It was a little expensive up front but when compared to the money I spent on overcooked meat, not bad at all.

The et-73 gets honorable mention though for making me more likely to cook in unpleasant weather.

This is hard. I'm assuming that you're talking about accessories, 'cause the WSM would be my #1 otherwise.

I think if I had to start over from nothing the one thing I'd buy besides another WSM and some more Kingsford would be the Weber chimney.

My #2 must have would be this website.

Dixie-huber-wi.JPG

An old beach towel.

For years, I used to rub meats down on the counter or in the sink. The counter was always a pain to clean and the sink always felt gross to place raw meat in. Then I would either have to get another pan dirty to carry it out to the grill or do the barehanded "Honey, will you get the door for me" walk to the grill to actually put the meat on. (I'm obviously talking about the bigger cuts of meat here, not steaks or chicken breasts or something like that).

Then one day it occurred to me to lay out an old towel, place the cooking grate on the towel and actually rub the meat down directly on the cooking grate over the towel. I can then carry the entire cooking grate on the grill by the handles AND just throw the towel in the wash when I'm done. No other clean up required.

Originally posted by Justin W:
Then one day it occurred to me to lay out an old towel, place the cooking grate on the towel and actually rub the meat down directly on the cooking grate over the towel. I can then carry the entire cooking grate on the grill by the handles AND just throw the towel in the wash when I'm done. No other clean up required.

I do similar but use aluminum foil on a table outside instead. May have to find some old towels instead. Good idea.

I use most of what already has been mention but one thing I use every time and all the time are disposable non-powder gloves. Great for handling uncooked meat and packing fuel in the ring while keeping your hands clean.

Love my Thermapen, love my chimney, love my tongs, but the one thing no one has mentioned yet: hotel pans. A big stack of disposable aluminum pans, about 10x12 inches, costs about $7 at BJ's or the like. You can marinate in them, you can cook diced veggies and cubed potatoes in them over the coals, when you're making a bi-level fire you can make sure your cool zone isn't being impinged upon by laying one down on your charcoal grate and then pouring your hot coals next to it, you can create a sort of mini-oven effect by flopping it upside down over your meat or veggies on the grill. When I'm doing a high-heat flat, all I have to do to foil is throw the flat in a hotel pan and crimp a sheet of HD foil across the top, and I'm in no danger of losing my juices.

Seriously, best $7 you'll spend all summer.

Originally posted by CullenJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean S.:
to complement rondo above, for me it would be red wine.

Is that box or bottle, Sean?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

either, because as you know they both end up emptied pretty quickly!

I can't have just one thing:
1. Performer
2. Lump charcoal
3. Long tongs that I bought at Williams-Sonoma
4. Silicon mitts (I have welders gloves too, but the silicone mitts work better for me)
5. Thermapen
6. Cook's Illustrated Barbecue book & Weber Charcoal book - must have both
7. Aluminum foil

Without these things - sine qua non, I could not grill.

Bill

Back