1 full brisket, or 2 halfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
I can't seem to locate any full packers, and my butcher only has halfs (~ 6#'s).

Would you do 2 halfs, or hold out on trying to find a full?

~ Sean

I wouldnt let that stop me from doing a brisket. Use what ever you can find at the time. It is cheaper for me to do a whole one over a flat but I can get them here at anytime.

A full, or packer brisket consists of the flat and the point. What you are referring to as a half I am assuming are flats. The point is more often cooked to a higher temp and shredded. To do so typically means cooking until the flat is done and then separating the point, and returning it to the cooker for an additional period of time. If you're looking to serve sliced brisket, two flats sound like just what you need-- try to get two of similar thickness, rather than similar weight in order to have the best chance of them finishing cooking at about the same time.

Sean, The flats that you were looking at did they have nice fat caps on them? I take mine to 200 and let rest in a cooler for at least 1 hr i preffer 2 hrs. Slice and enjoy tender moist juicy brisket. Bryan

If I were to hold them foil-wrapped in a cooler for a couple hours, I would pull them off about 5-10 degrees below my target final temperature-- residual heat will bring them up the rest of the way-- to avoid the possibility of them going too high and reaching what's termed the "pot roast" stage.

I haven't seen the flats yet - Mr. Butcher said he had 6 #'rs when I called looking for a full.

Doug - any idea what that magical temperature is for 'pot roast' stage?

I think I will try to get the picnic and the flats to 195-200*.

With an 11 pound picninc, that should be about 22 hrs.

Do I count my flats as separates 2- 6 pounders @ 1.5 pounds / hour, or 4 hours, OR treat them as 1 12 pounder?

I am trying to determine whether I drop them all on at once, or delay putting on the flats.

Thanks,
~ Sean

I think you could safely pull the flats off at 185-190*, hold them foiled for a couple hours, and be fine.

Remember that estimates of hours per pound apply to the weight of the individual piece of meat, not the cumulative weight of all meat cooking. Estimating 1.5 hours per pound on a six pound flat would equal nine hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back