1/4 way through 1st cook with questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow! The WSM is incredible. once it gets goin' it just stays. Here is the deal:

I've got two butterflied chickens going at the 1/4 way point -- assuming a 4 hour cook. The temp has pretty much been a steady 250 - 265 throughout with some minor fluctuations when I put the meat, check temp on lower grate (oven thermo, added the wood, etc.

I've got two vents @ 100% open and one @ 0% open plus the top vent is open.

Question: After 1 hour, how much time am I still looking at? I know, when its done, its done, but any guesstimates on how long? Also, for chicken should I try and get the temp a little lower? I've read on the forum that the virgin run gets a little hotter than usual.

BTW, my top vent temp appears the same as my top grate temp, but I think that is because my top vent thermo is a 12" candy/deep fryer thermo.

Thanks in advance,

DWL

If you have a meat thermometer, go for about 180*F at the thigh. I rarely run two vents open at 100% unless I'm trying to get the fire hot.

Right now, I've got the top vent at 100% (never close it anyway when smoking) and one vent at about 20%. Had steady 250* hood temps since 8:00AM this morning (it's now a little after 5:00).

For now, you'd be safe doing the 4 hour cook. As long as the meat isn't close to the edge (where it would extend beyond the waterpan) you'll be fine. Meat that extends beyond the water pan, may dry out. The fringe (the part outside of the waterpan) of the WSM runs a lot hotter than the middle of the grill.

sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back