1/2 Butt Common at the meat counter?

Hans Lain

TVWBB Member
I checked my local supermarket today and they only had 1/2 pork butts in the meat counter. 3-5lbs each with no bone. Is this common?

Guess I coulda asked if they had full pork butts available.

For a Supermarket yeah. Ask the butcher if they have any still in the cryovac bag. If you are a member of Sam's, Costco, or BJ's, these wharehouse clubs are your best bet, and a whole lot cheaper than a supermarket.
icon_wink.gif
I just picked up a 2 pack of cryovac Butts at BJ's cost was $1.39 lb. Price is up a little from summer but still reasonable.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Bryan - good to know.

Price for 1/2 butt here is $1.98/lb at the supermarket in the bags from the meat packer it looks like. Are the cryovac bags the shrink looking thick plastic bags the meat ships in?

In-laws have a Costco card - sounds like I need to check that out.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hans Lain:
Thanks, Bryan - good to know.

Price for 1/2 butt here is $1.98/lb at the supermarket in the bags from the meat packer it looks like. Are the cryovac bags the shrink looking thick plastic bags the meat ships in?

In-laws have a Costco card - sounds like I need to check that out.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, it's a super heavy duty vac bag. Normally there's 2 Butts per bag.
icon_smile.gif
And Welcome to the TWBB.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:And Welcome to the TWBB.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Bryan. My WSM shows up next week. I've got 6 years on my gasser and a few on my little chief smoker. Gonna season the WSM, do a dry run to cook the oil in and get an idea of how the thing burns then cut my teeth on a pork butt on my WSM. Been reading this forum and the smoke ring and taking a lot of notes. Might be a good thing that I start out doin a 1/2 butt.
icon_razz.gif

Hans,

Welcome to the board.

As Steve said, you do not have to season the WSM, just start with your first cook and you will be amazed.

Ray

I ended up needing to ask the butcher of my store for a full bone in butt, they had none out on display.

As for seasoning, I'll third that, no need to, it'll be plenty seasoned after your first cook.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Hans. Our local Sams club also has a twin pack of whole butts bone in, but thier not on display you have to ask for them. $1.38 lb.

What better seasoning could you ask for than smoke and pork fat!!!!
icon_cool.gif

Happy Que Year!

Windy City Smokers

In San Diego, the only spots I can seem to find the big cryovac's are at Costco, Sam's and Henry's. I like Henry's since they still have the bone in them. Costco here always has them boneless.

Back