1 1/2# Back Ribs

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
My dad has a friend who owns a restraunt. I got talking to him one night and he said my dad was bragging on my ribs. Believe it or not the place is called Old Hickory and they don't put any smoke to the ribs. Anyhow he says I want to try your ribs and he would donate a case of ribs for me to smoke.

We decided on the ohio state michigan game which was last weekend. I borrowed my friends smoker and smoked 18 slabs of BRITU using the 1 1/2# slabs. They were definately smaller than the ones I get at sams. Some of them had quite a bit of fat on the back side. I scraped off quite a bit.

Yesterday when I was cleaning by friends smoker up I dumped the the remaining water which was little. Thats when I noticed the amount of fat in the pan was the most I have ever seen. There was an easy inch of fat in the pan. That is more than I have ever seen in my pan. I had nine slabs in each smoker. I know that is a lot but I have smoked 12 of the sams variety several times and still didn't have that much in the pan. Anyone know why that is?

The guy who supplied the ribs said those ribs cost more than any other ribs by the pound and are the best. While they were good I don't think they were any better than the ones I buy at sams. It just seems kind of weird to me.

I told him I have to go to the restraunt and try his. He told me they weren't better than the ones we just ate. I told him that I would take that as a compliment. Actually I think I overcooked them a little. I usually don't crack the lid before 6 hours. Since they were smaller I think they could have come off 30 minutes earlier.

Just wondering if anyone has used these ribs before.

I have seen them before--just recently--and I'm trying to think of where. It might have been in Ohio actually. I went to TJ's in Kettering and then hit a few other stores. (Did a similar thing the next day in Detroit so it might have been there.)

I never cook b-backs but am used to seeing them. I was surprised at how fatty these looked in the packages. And they were definitely small.

This guy used to buy them from someplace in Chicago. He said his business has really dropped off recently from a lot of chain restraunts opening nearby. Now he buys them from Sysco who buys from that same company.

One thing about it I haven't ever seen any ribs that small at the stores. I just cleaned my smoker for tomorrows turkey and it had a thick inch in the bottom and quite a bit between the foil and the bottom of the pan.

Back