‘64-‘68 Kettle

HeatherHeslin

TVWBB Member
So I picked up this kettle today for $30. It’s in ‘64-‘68 range. Did I get a good deal? Also any ideas where I could get new wheels? They are the metal wheels with a painted whitewall. E3E65FCD-9856-485A-A68C-423E4E27C5AE.jpeg3476DF5F-3EF9-40AB-87F5-4EE08FC25C4A.jpeg4B53236E-879A-494A-B324-F28E81F198F7.jpeg

You might not know until you cook on it A few times. I’m finding out with charcoal, there are a lot of variables, so if at first you don’t succeed, try again.

You surely don’t want to part with those very early wheels! If you are into collecting old kettles that is a nice find. If you don’t really care about it as a collector item, I will bet if you listed it on the Weber Kettle Club site you could get someone to pay a good bit more or trade you a newer grill for that one.

As Jon mentioned I think the Weber Kettle Club site as a thread on restoring those wheels and where to get parts such as the rubber.

Heather, those are known as MBH for metal bowl handle (1964-1989) and is a collectable. Most collectors would rather have it original so if it is not a keeper for you, then finding the right buyer now is probably the way to go. WKC as others have stated would be a good place to start.

Good find! Here is an inexpensive option for new wheels through Amazon that I recently heard about.
7B8EBFAE-338C-4EB2-A2B1-68307DEFC898.jpeg

That’s pretty close, Kelly!

Again, those original wheels are treasured by collectors, so, if you don’t care about them, offering them here and on the WKC would likely get you a buyer.

I’m not wanting to sell the grill at all. I am a fairly new collector and I was just wanting to know if others thought I got a good deal. I’m also not wanting to get rid of these wheels. I will refurbish them for sure. I’m needing new rubber for them. One of them is completely split in half. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the rubber. Sorry I wasn’t more clear.

Maybe try using a right sized engine timing belt as a retread?
Cut to fit and either glue or adda few small screws.
1631125113529.png

I would have thought a trade for a neweer grill and cash, but if you are also a collector. Congrats. So many ways to re wheel this. If you want more height or so.. good ideas. Of course if you have space, a double bbq table with wsms on the ends. And foot pedal lid lifters...
Okay i quiet now

I am glad you are keeping this one as a collector item. I think you got a really good deal. It is not one of the really exotic colors, etc. but ANY Weber kettle that old is at least a little exotic!

I think you should try hard to use black silicone filler/glue and see if you can't fix the tire along the lines of what is shown on that WKC link. I agree with the person who noted that you can use a tooth pick to "redraw" tread lines if needed. I think you are wanting to keep as much original as possible while keeping it from falling apart. Just my opinion, but I did similarly on my 50+ year old PK grill which had its original wheels, one with a big crack.

IMG_7102.JPEG
IMG_7095.JPEG

Back